Sign in to follow this  
fishnut

Small game season 2016

Tomorrow is the day. Who is going out and where? I'll be at Clinton WMA tomorrow. I also have all next week off of work so I will be chasing birds at various WMA's around the state. Going to hit Pequest on tuesday for sure. If anyone wants to meet up and hunt during the week let me know. I do have a dog, well it's my friends but he's off of work all next week too so it's his dog I just get to hunt with it lol

Got one and missed one. Not allot of action today, allot less birds at clinton WMA this year. I'm not pleased with this new bird allocation. What about you guys? I guess it could have been the heat but damn it was slow. Had 4 idiots try and squeeze in between me and my buddy at about 7:40. I put a stop to that, they did not speak english but they understood what I was saying today. Lol.

I'll be hitting Black River with my dad tomorrow. We don't have a dog but that don't matter. The spending time together part is most important. If we blast a bird or two it's a bonus.

how was the action today? You hear allot of shots? We might head up there on Wednesday

Newtonian- No idea about the crowed at Delaware, ive never hunted there before. I might try and head up there later this week and try it out.

Someone at Whittingham this morning told me the reason they're stocking at Delaware at roughly 2x Whittingham is to get people to go there. I didn't leave home until 8:30, thinking it would have thinned out, but it was still too crowded for me. Two hours later the only thing I'd shot was my knees. Would gladly drive a bit to find a place that's not crawling with large parties with dogs. If they kick one up am I supposed to wait until I hear 15 shots?

Let me know. Any info on Delaware would be welcome. 

• Like 1

The DWG area has always been stocked, but it involves more hunting (walking) than some WMA's. Based on the allocation chart, it seems like they are putting more birds out there. 

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/artpheasallocation16.htm

Areas are broken out into three sections.  - http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/pheasmaps/dwg_main.pdf

With a good dog the area is worth a long walk. It will feel like "hunting" again. 

how was the action today? You hear allot of shots? We might head up there on Wednesday

We were there from about 11:30 to 2 and came home empty handed. There were lots of shots, but not too many feathers around. It was very overgrown and some areas were tough to pass. Definitely tough going without a dog. I was onto one, but it was so deep in the crap it wouldn't come out. A minute or so later a group with a dog flushed it out and missed it with a flurry.

Joe- funny you mention it being over grown. CLinton was the same way in some spots. One field Russian olive completely took Ober and they are almost 20 feet high now. 5 years ago that field was cleared and not it's not even huntable

Went to Pequest today for the first time with a local and got the lay of the land. Flushed 2 birds on the first push and bang, bang 2 birds down. Had my limit 10 mins after sun rise. That was a first for me. The land is easier to hunt, not much over grown, lots of sorghum and hedge rows. Way less thorn bushes than clinton. Ran into the game warden and after a quick check to make sure we were all legal and legit we chatted with him for a bit. He mentioned that he lives 5 mins from clinton but makes the drive to Pequest to hunt. I think I might be doing the same thing from now on. I'm headed back there Saturday to finish out my week of bird hunting.

• Like 1