Fred2

Old Belgian 12 ga side by side Shotgun

Just now, capt14k said:

$50 on a good day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im thinking the hammers might be worth that maybe.... if someone really needs them.... :)

Old doubles r really interesting to collect, and the history of them are more so......  most Belgians are utility guns right?

Doublegun bbb and shotgunworld r some serious collectors and knowledge 

Just grabbed an 1899 new Ithaca gun 12g Damascus hammer. ....  once I fix the stocks she will be good to go with BP loads 

I looked in the big gun book, and could not even find Mears as a manufacturer.

I was able to find some via google, and they did not seem to be worth much.

I'm thinking it may be worth more at a "Gun Buyback" than on the open market. You guys seem to be backing that up.

• Like 1

As far as decorations go, $50.00 is pretty cheap for something that would look awesome on a wall.  It probably has damascus barrels, so it's not really a shooter anyway.  All those problems can be fixed, but good luck finding ammo that's safe to fire in it.

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

As far as decorations go, $50.00 is pretty cheap for something that would look awesome on a wall.  It probably has damascus barrels, so it's not really a shooter anyway.  All those problems can be fixed, but good luck finding ammo that's safe to fire in it.

You can shoot damascus all day long.....

Easily roll your own 12 g black powder hulls.

A good condition Damascus gun can and will be useable 100 yes from now and as with any firearm soot what it was designed for.

If ya have a pack of Snap Caps in 12 ga., just for the hell of it see if they fit all the way inside that hammergun.  If they don't, that old gun may be chambered at 2 1/2" & NOT 2 3/4?

Brass hulls may or may not require trimming prior to loading them with the Holy Black.  The springs & sears can be replaced.  The stock MIGHT be pinned (consult a good smith) or could be replaced, but that would entail building your own from a block of wood (bought at a place like Dixon Muzzleloading).  Obviously the work would be worth more than the gun, but it would be a nice project over the winter.  In any case, don't clean-off that wonderful patina :)  

Thanks for sharing!

Rosey

I just found another wall hanger that needs loving care.

It's an old Henry Arms side by side with a 30 inch barrels.

Similar condition. Cheap if someone wants them.

So..........

If we are going to redeem them at a gun buyback, are they worth more if they are "sawn off" ?

11 hours ago, Fred2 said:

I just found another wall hanger that needs loving care.

It's an old Henry Arms side by side with a 30 inch barrels.

Similar condition. Cheap if someone wants them.

So..........

If we are going to redeem them at a gun buyback, are they worth more if they are "sawn off" ?

Not a smart idea to cut any firearm to make it an nfa item whether operational or not.....  

Not worth any more or less...but you'll be worth more of picked up with it prior....  

4 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Not a smart idea to cut any firearm to make it an nfa item whether operational or not.....  

Not worth any more or less...but you'll be worth more of picked up with it prior....  

Yeah and fug giving them a sawed off to put on display for the reporters to show what a dangerous weapon  they got off the "streets"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

Got more pics? Want to see how good they might look on my wall :B:):

I tried to post an image, the site says it is too big.

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I think keeping jail time to a minimum is the way I want to go.

• Like 1