Sign in to follow this  
Malice4you

custom headphone leather work?

I have some 10? year old Sennheiser headphones which are still working wonderfully, but the earcups and headband padding is going downhill. The headphones are discontinued, so parts are no longer really available for this model.

I was wondering if there are even people out there who can do this kind of work for reasonable prices these days, and if so, where to look.

While the Sennheisers i own are not the most expensive headphones ($180), they were not exactly cheap either, so I would like to get more (better) life out of them. If custom leather work is too expensive, I will keep looking for factory replacement parts, but I'd much rather have some nice soft leather cushions than thin crappy pleather (really Sennheiser?) which will just delaminate and tear again. I use these things most days at work, and often for hours at a time, so comfort is a big deal.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

what model? Ear cushions are consumables, and after market replacements are a thing. It's not like cans are usually a bunch of funny shapes, so they aren't necessarily model specific. Leather would actually work worse than what is used. They are desiged for comfort over durability. Hence being a consumable. It is extremely likely you can just order something for the ear cushions. 

As for the headband, make and model and possibly a pic would help. This may or may not screw you depending on the headphones. 

• Like 1

HD265 Linear

I did some more research after posting this (always the case) and have found some aftermarket stuff - hopefully decent quality.  Last time I looked, I think I only tried a few sources and gave up when most of the results were for totally different models (and different shapes).  I do wish search results were smarter sometimes.

I didn't really think of the cushions as consumables, but makes sense now that I think about it.

I was thinking leather because of the really nice, supple soft leather used in some of the gloves I have....where IMO it would be as comfortable as the pleather they use, but be more robust.  The foam inside might disintegrate like mine now, but that's years down the road.  The super thin fake leather surface delaminates from the fabric backing (apparently a common problem for the cushions), and it just looks bad and is a minor irritation.

thanks

[edit] - Results returned were different on chrome than on firefox on the same PC.

Also, someone on ebay is selling a new pair for $400....

HD265 Linear
I did some more research after posting this (always the case) and have found some aftermarket stuff - hopefully decent quality.  Last time I looked, I think I only tried a few sources and gave up when most of the results were for totally different models (and different shapes).  I do wish search results were smarter sometimes.
I didn't really think of the cushions as consumables, but makes sense now that I think about it.
I was thinking leather because of the really nice, supple soft leather used in some of the gloves I have....where IMO it would be as comfortable as the pleather they use, but be more robust.  The foam inside might disintegrate like mine now, but that's years down the road.  The super thin fake leather surface delaminates from the fabric backing (apparently a common problem for the cushions), and it just looks bad and is a minor irritation.
thanks

[edit] - Results returned were different on chrome than on firefox on the same PC.
Also, someone on ebay is selling a new pair for $400....
$400 for HD265? You can get HD600 for less. I have a few pair of Sennheisers. They are the best IMO.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk