ap777

Interested in handguns, never shot before

Welcome to your new hobby that you will sell everything you own to support! Just kidding, but shooting is fun!

First you need to ask yourself what type of shooting you want to do. If all you want to do is shoot targets I recommend finding a .22 that fits your hand nicely. You'll know the gun for you when you pick it up, it's like trying on shoes. Well maybe not for women cause they buy uncomfortable shoes that look great sometimes instead of comfortable shoes that look like whatever. A .22 is great to learn on b/c of little to no recoil and the bullets are cheap, so you can shoot a lot more.

Find your local gun shops and go window shopping, don't be shy, ask to see and hold the guns in the case they will let you. Just remember never point a gun at someone or something you do not want to destroy! Loaded or Unloaded never do this, it is 99% safety and 1% etiquette. Window shopping is something I do all the time, it is a big purchase so make sure you are going to be happy with it.

Also scope out where you are going to shoot. What ranges are available to you to use your new handgun? If you just go out and buy the gun and have no place to use it, there isn't much purpose to it.

Find someone to teach you. You can either pay for lessons which are a great option or if you don't want to spend money on lessons just ask people around the range if they are willing to help you learn. You can make friends with guns ;)

There is plenty more advice to be given this is just a little to get you started. If you have any more specific questions ask away and I am sure either I or one of the other forum members will be able to lend advice.

Where are you located? Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club in Jackson has a lady's day just about every year and is a great place to shoot. Lady's day is open to the public I believe but you have to be a member to shoot there regularly. I'll post the info for lady's day when it's announced.

If you haven't done so apply for your Firearms ID Card and maybe a pistol permit too. Some places take a lot of time (6 months or more) to approve them.

Glad you're getting into guns.

My wife loves to shoot. She has two 9mm's... One full size, and one compact.

Honestly, the best thing to do is to go up to a gun range. Most of them will rent out guns, and you can tell them you're new and you'd like to try something like a .22 out. They have very little kick, and are a blast to shoot for newbs. It will help you get use to trigger control, as well as controlling recoil. Most ranges won't have a problem showing you either.

A couple clubs near me have yearly safety courses, which would be a great place to start for a beginner. If you know someone who is into shooting, having them take you out to the range for an afternoon would be a good idea too. If there is a place near you that rents guns, going there and renting a nice variety of .22s will give you an idea of what you like and don't like before you drop several hundred dollars.

Absolute first and foremost, however, is learn the four rules of firearm safety. They CANNOT be overstressed. You should read them, reread them, and memorize them before ever laying a hand on a gun. Alot of people who are unfamiliar with guns often handle guns the way they see them handled in movies. Nearly everything you see in movies about guns is absolutely wrong, so do your best to unlearn what you've seen.

After safety, the second most important rule of shooting is to have fun, so find a gun that brings a smile to your face, and get out to the range!

Hi everybody.

A young lady here intrigued by handguns. What are some things I should be looking for? Any good resources I can use as a primer.

Hi Ap,

Glad you are looking to get into the shooting sports. Where do you live? Several ranges offer a Woman's Day yearly. Last year I volunteered at Cherry Ridge...I think there were about 300 woman introduced to the sport. They shot pistols - 22 & 9mm, 20ga shotgun, AR15 type .223 & 22 rifle. I had my wife attend so she can take advice from someone other than me. She doesnt like to listen to me.Overall,It was a good day. I love introducing new people to the sport. There are too many anti gun people out there not to embrace the people that want to participate in the fun, rewarding & safe aspect of the sport.

You should start out with a 22lr. Little or no recoil, fairly inexpensive, ammo readily available & cheap. It will provide you with the basics of gun handling...grip, stance, follow-through, aiming etc.

Cant beat the practice & benefits it will provide first time shooters.