flyingcowofdoom

So...does anyone here actually have a CCW permit?

It's pretty well known that getting a CCW permit in the "great" state of NJ is nearly impossible, but I'm thinking about submitting an application anyway, for the hell of it. I don't see what I have to lose. Does anyone in Bergen county have or know of anyone that got approved? Is there any reason to not give it a try?

My wife is in a wheelchair, so I was thinking about using that as a justifiable need. Something like we're more of a target due to her disability. I guess maybe she should be the one submitting the application. If only I knew the Superior Court judge... :lol:;)

--FCOD

I was thinking the same thing and than I discussed it with the det. in town. He said when it is denied and it will be denied you then have to explain WHY you were denied on all future permits.

He said the only real way to get the CCW is to have 3 documented (by the police) treats against your life. I wonder if gun store owners have CCW be cause most stores I go to they are all wearing guns.

I was thinking the same thing and than I discussed it with the det. in town. He said when it is denied and it will be denied you then have to explain WHY you were denied on all future permits.

He said the only real way to get the CCW is to have 3 documented (by the police) treats against your life. I wonder if gun store owners have CCW be cause most stores I go to they are all wearing guns.

I see...so maybe I should get my FL permit first, then apply for NJ? :D

It's really sickening. I know one person with a CCW in NJ, and he got it because he owns a security company and he knows people. I get so angry thinking that we could be attacked one day and the only reason I can't adequately defend myself and my wife is because of stupid gun laws.

--FCOD

That is what she said. that bill is currently in review, and not in the general assembly yet.

Oh I misunderstood. In that case, you could do what I'm doing and contact all of the members of the Senate Law and Public Safety and Veterans' Affairs committee:

Girgenti, John A. - Chair

Stack, Brian P. - Vice-Chair

Bucco, Anthony R.

Connors, Christopher J.

Sacco, Nicholas J.

and the Assembly Law and Public Safety committe:

Johnson, Gordon M. - Chair

Albano, Nelson T. - Vice-Chair

Bramnick, Jon M.

Evans, Elease

Rible, David P.

Spencer, L. Grace

Those are the committees in which the bills are, currently. Until the committees report the bills, nothing will happen.

--FCOD

It is a bad idea to apply if you know you will be rejected. It will at the very least delay any future carry permits you apply for with any other state. Even if you already have one in another state, you could have trouble renewing.

Generally, NJ only issues a "permit to carry a handgun" to armed security personnel, qualified retired LEO's, and to those who can successfully demonstrate, to both your local police chief and to the superior court judge, a "justifiable need." Such "needs" are usually limited to those who deal with a lot of cash, and may need to transport that cash to the bank.

There is a provision in the law that allows people to carry a firearm at their place of business (as long as they don't carry off the premises). That is why many gun store owners and employees are able to carry while at the store. Before doing that at your place of business, consult an attorney about the legalities and the liabilities.

qualified retired LEO's

They are not Carry Permits. The Retired Carry Permit goes through a totally different set of requirements and is not subject to the standard approval requirements. It is not a NJ Carry Permit as issued to the Security Guards, etc. In fact most security guards are not issued carry permits. The permit is held by the security agency and is effective only when the guard is actually working.

qualified retired LEO's

They are not Carry Permits. The Retired Carry Permit goes through a totally different set of requirements and is not subject to the standard approval requirements. It is not a NJ Carry Permit as issued to the Security Guards, etc. In fact most security guards are not issued carry permits. The permit is held by the security agency and is effective only when the guard is actually working.

One of the differences is that a security carry permit has a "work restricted" stamp placed on it. Another difference is that retired LEO's must requalify and reapply every six months, whereas security and everyone else must do so every two years.

The individual carrying the gun must apply for the carry permit--merely working security does not give him the right to carry. So yes, any armed security guard working off premises must have a permit.

Guest Ektarr

NJ Law permits one to carry in their own homes -or- in their place of business, provided that place of business is a fixed location (unlike, say, a RotoRooter truck or Dominoe's delivery vehicle).

I wonder if gun store owners have CCW be cause most stores I go to they are all wearing guns.

The ones I know don't. The minute they leave the store, they have to take the gun off, unload it, and put it in a case like the rest of us.

I want to say that there's a separate application to be a gun store employee that has to get approved by the state. Maybe I imagined that?

as a retired police officer I had a carry permit until age 73. Cut off for police retiree carry was age 70. I carried beyond age 70, then state police saw my age and refused to issue another permit. Now there are over 2,000 retired police in N.J. with carry permits. Now cut off is age 75. Retired police have to qualify TWICE a year ???? Now there are over 1,000 private pistol permits issued to non-police persons in N.J. For these people there is NO AGE cut off. They can carry to age 100 or more. They only qualify ONCE a year........ The state police do not keep any record of ages for the PRIVATE carry permits ??? Wonder why ???

If you are thinking of trying for a private carry permit...forget it. You MUST have legit reason for application. What the reason for the 1000 private carry permits is not recorded outside the NJ state police and they won't tell you..........It's called equal rights in the Republic of N.J.

I was thinking about this b/c I plan on maintaining a residence in Colorado once I move there and continue to renew my CCW here. I think I am still going to try for my CCW there and when I have to fill out the part that says "Have you ever been denied for a permit? if so why?" I will just put "Yes, I applied for it in New Jersey" as my response :D

It is not a good idea to apply for a CCW in NJ if you know you are going to be denied. After you are denied you will always have to check the box that states "has a permit ever been denied you in this or any other state?". Not Good.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, most of us view New Jersey as a joke when it comes to upholding constitutional rights.

But the fact that you didn't get it was a joke, might mean there are others that also won't get it.

I think I wrote that backwards. I agree that the NJ gun laws are a joke.

I knew you meant it as a joke, I just didn't think that someone reviewing an application would accept any answer that was meant to be funny. They'd just go "oh, he was rejected by New Jersey" and reject the application.