tgz13

Anyone belong to OBRPC - Old Bridge Riffle and Pistol Club

The indoor and outdoor ranges are literally 10 minutes from my house, but I don't know anyone who belongs (or belonged) there who may have some light to shed on the place. The Ranges themselves, The Range Officers, the members etc..

A quick blurb of the fees and requirements to join, sounds like a bit much for my taste..

Probationary members who have been voted in as full members, pay annual dues of $315. a year payable in ONE installment at the start of the calendar year

In addition. 12 hours of work time or $15 per hour not worked, per year, are required. Family memberships are available. All members are required to posses a valid NJ Firearms Identification Card and maintain membership in the National Rifle Association (NRA). We are a 100% NRA club and affiliated with the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). If you are not a member of the NRA we can sign you up.

New members go into our probationary period of 6 months. During your probation period, you have the full use of the facilities and you are not required to put in work hours, but you cannot vote, hold office or bring guests. You are also required to complete a probationary report. To complete the report, you must attend no less than 5 of our scheduled events and participate in at least 2. After your 6 month probationary period is ended and you have completed your probationary report, you will be required to pay the balance of the initiation fee and the remainder of the dues for the year. Once this is completed, you will be put up for a vote at our general meeting. Once voted in, you will be required to put in the equivalent of 1 hour of work duty per month.

The whole requirement to participate in events was enough to make me pass.

My sentiments exactly.. The more I read it the more I was like WTF. It would be nice to have a place that close, but I am looking to shoot my gun, not sign over my first born lol

I went to a shooting event there just recently. Their facilities were quite nice and its not very far from my house at all. If they didnt have all of those required events and was a bit more economical, Id already be a member. Id really like to find a range like Ft Dix...they have a good facility and are very reasonably priced...I just wish it was closer to my house and they didnt call the cops on me....

Ft Dix called the cops on me for having a tripod mounted browning 1919a4....its a semi auto only and 100% NJ legal....I had shot it there on numerous occaisions and even had permission to have it there more than once....every time I was there with it I had explained what it was....but one day someone thought they would call the cops and report a man with a machinegun....I had been a member for a few years at that point, and hadnt even shot it yet that day, but had just set it up on the tripod....Instead of coming over and asking what it was or if it was indeed a machinegun, they just called the police.......When the officer pulled up and asked if it was a machinegun, I politely and throughly explained what it was, showing him the semi auto markings , telling him about the 1919a4 websit and doing the best I could. He then started to ask about my other guns I had, and I went through all of them showing him the mods to the guns that made them all NJ legal...such as welded on brakes, permanently altered 15 round mags and all that stuff.... After the officer took down my name and info and left, I went to the office to ask WTF was going on, and got some BS answer that they didnt know what it was so they called the cops...and thats their policy....I sent the range manager a very angry letter have never gone back since...I am also part of a large group of guys that used to book at least 4 or 5 lanes every few months and spent hundreds of $ each time, year round and they were so pissed off about this, that many of them do not go there and they no longer book these events with Ft Dix. In the end everything was OK, as I was 100% NJ legal and didnt break any laws, but it could have been a lot worse...I have heard horror stories of guys getting all there stuff confiscated and then having to go through a large amount of time and even more money in court to prove they are right...and then hopefully get there stuff back...all of which is not in the same condition as it was when confiscated....all because someone didnt know what they were looking at .....

Ah yes - the 1919.. i've seen pictures of one (maybe yours?) over on arf :) it's bad enough we have to deal with all these backwards ass rules to be legal in this state, but to have to deal with something like that because of someone else's ignorance really blows. Glad you made it thru that unscathed.