.300 AAC upper...giving it a try...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Swizz70

Swizz70
  • LocationDeptford
  • Home Range:Hagues Indoor Range, West Deptford

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Just took delivery of my Special Ops Tactical .300 AAC complete upper.  My first AR was a complete rifle purchase.  Decided to just buy the upper since the .300 blackout goes with the 5.56/.223 platform and save some $$ on a complete rifle and just swap out the uppers depending on what I feel like shooting.  A friend invited me down to Georgia for a hog hunt...not that the 5.56 wouldn't do the job...but I wanted to try that 7.62 x 35 round!  I'll do a follow up once I get it together and take it out.  Just got my scope and mount today.

Attached Files

#2 Swizz70

Swizz70
  • LocationDeptford

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

https://specialopsta...-blkout-uppers/

Attached Files

#3 Old School

Old School
  • LocationLow Country, SC
  • Home Range:My Back Yard

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

IMHO unless you are supressing it the 300AAC BO poses no advantage over the 223/5.56

For pigs a well constructed soft point / expanding bullet will do a better job on pigs.

300 BO ammo is more expensive too.

Good luck, have fun ! 

Certified GLOCK Armorer

"I only got two things, my word and my balls, and I ain't breakin' either for nobody" - Tony Montana

"Life's journey is not arriving at the gate safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy *...what a ride!"

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Message sent while driving fast on acid with one foot out the window.

#4 Swizz70

Swizz70
  • LocationDeptford

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Old School! Yes, I realize the 5.56 will do the job and is cheaper to shoot but I just wanted to try a heavier caliber and have something different in the arsenal. Plus the 300AAC has the same muzzle energy at longer distances than the 5.56 making it more effective further out. I know the bullet drop is greater on the 300BO but that can be compensated for by holdover with a 300BO ACSS scope.

Thanks for the reply. Be safe!

#5 T Bill

T Bill
  • LocationNW Warren County
  • Home Range:Shongum

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Well, I do realize all the negativity about the 300BLK unless suppressed but, it is the modern day 30-30 for me.  I have been working with different bullet weights and using them in the MSR and bolt action and it has its advantages. I reload so that takes the cost factor out of it, Brass comes from old 223 cases that don't make the cut, and powder I already have from reloading x39s.  Yes, I reload X39s, been doing it for more than 20 years now.  A 150 in a x39 bolt was my hunting choice for years after the 30-30. Right now I prefer a 30 cal to the 223 for hogs. Just a bit more hitting power, especially with Lehigh Defense heads, they just rock. Good luck with it.  

• Swizz70 likes this

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” - Dr. Sigmund Freud

” … the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law.” - Dr. Martin Luther King
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence
Cogito, ergo sum armatus. I think, therefore I am armed

#6 Old School

Old School
  • LocationLow Country, SC
  • Home Range:My Back Yard

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

Now you guys know I shoot a subsonic, suppressed BO

For me it a 50-75yd gun.

Just sayin'

Certified GLOCK Armorer

"I only got two things, my word and my balls, and I ain't breakin' either for nobody" - Tony Montana

"Life's journey is not arriving at the gate safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy *...what a ride!"

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Message sent while driving fast on acid with one foot out the window.

#7 Swizz70

Swizz70
  • LocationDeptford

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

Well, I do realize all the negativity about the 300BLK unless suppressed but, it is the modern day 30-30 for me.  I have been working with different bullet weights and using them in the MSR and bolt action and it has its advantages. I reload so that takes the cost factor out of it, Brass comes from old 223 cases that don't make the cut, and powder I already have from reloading x39s.  Yes, I reload X39s, been doing it for more than 20 years now.  A 150 in a x39 bolt was my hunting choice for years after the 30-30. Right now I prefer a 30 cal to the 223 for hogs. Just a bit more hitting power, especially with Lehigh Defense heads, they just rock. Good luck with it.

Thanks T Bill!

#8 vladtepes

vladtepes
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

why would you make the hand guard intentionally pointy and sharp looking? it looks prone to getting snagged on gear.. and possibly even jabbing you... 

• Swizz70 likes this

Click Each of the following to learn about rules and regulations regarding NJ. Each has detailed information allowing you to understand what you can and can not have.
Semiautomatic Rifle Semiautomatic Handgun Semiautomatic Shotgun

BackwoodsCustomCoatings im not breaking your balls...youre seriously crazy...

#9 Swizz70

Swizz70
  • LocationDeptford

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

why would you make the hand guard intentionally pointy and sharp looking? it looks prone to getting snagged on gear.. and possibly even jabbing you...

I actually did not go with that rail, while I think it looks cool and aggressive I thought the same thing. The one pictured is their "Javelin M-Lock" rail...you can see why they called it Javelin! You can see in the first pictures I posted it's not the same rail..my bad.

#10 Swizz70

Swizz70
  • LocationDeptford

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

GPX_MLOK_12-892x360.jpg

This is the actual rail I took delivery of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users