DirtyDigz

What is the legality of Pepper Spray in NJ?

My problem with this is I have never seen a pepper spray container labeled as to how many ounces (or factions thereof) they contain.

So, is it legal or not in NJ? How big a spray can exceeds 3/4 an ounce? Impossible to tell.

Cross the border into NY, and the limitation is not on volume, but on percentage of OC (the pepper powder), NY legal sprays are generally half as strong as a percentage OC as sprays for the other states.

So in NY you can't have a strong one but you can have a big weak one, and in NJ you can't have a big one but you can have a strong small one.

So if you cross from NY to NJ and want to be legal all the time, you have to have a weak and small one in order to be compliant in both states.

I don't know if anyone has ever been prosecuted for having one over the volume limit in NJ or over the %OC limit in NY.

I'll take the strong small one anyday. If the stuff is weak and doesn't work the way it should, it won't matter how much you spray the guy.

I don't think anyone will have an issue as long as they aren't carrying around a huge canister of the stuff. Like you said, as long as it's a reasonable amount, you shouldn't have any problems.

ANY of the pocket-sized models or Keychain models for sale are OK..it's only once you get into the Duty-belt sized cans you fall into problems. That said, I dont recall anyone other than a Sh!thead Criminal who was already charged with something else ever getting jammed with Pepper spray in his possession.

You are allowed to carry pepper spray in NJ, but it's a felony to actually use it.

OK, I totally just made that up. But it's probably pretty close to the truth.

From what I understand - You are right. As in "pocket tools/knives". You can carry a pcoket knife just like pepper spray, but once you use that pocket tool to defend yourself, just as pepper spray, it magically turned from a tool into a weapon, concealed weapon - which the use of a concealed weapon on someone, even in self defence is a felony.? Is that correct?