Maksim

What do you look for in a Range?

As as you dont live in North Jersey, for the most part, we all have a number of ranges within driving distance to go shoot some rounds. Granted, it is not like 3 grocery stores in one town, but within an hour drive there are 2 public ranges in Jersey, 1 in PA, and I am guessing 4 private clubs.

What do you look for in a range to shoot at, either Public or Private.

Personally, after going through the application process at Citizens Rifle and Revolver Club, that vs the facilities, I almost regret going through the process.

Fort Dix on the other hand, looks like I will be joining very soon for ease of membership, costs, and facilities.

Took the words right out of my mouth with Dix...

1. Shooting paper gets very boring after a while.

2. Shooting Fruit and Water filled Jugs does not get boring after a while.

3. Ease of membership 'application'. Just write your name down and get a card.

4. No required monthly meetings.

5. If I dont show up for months at a time no one cares.

6. No astronomical fees

7. No silly rules, only smart ones.

8. I don't have to buy "their" ammo

9. Nice people

10. SAFE environment where I would feel comfortable taking wife and kids.

11. No sponsorships / references Required

12. Long Distance Range (200 Yds at least)

13. No required monthly "work details"

14. Did I mention how fun shooting fruit and water bottles is ???

I look for simplicity, affordability, proximity and family friendly.

I do not want to go through months of meetings or required shoots and forced range maintenence to be a member.

I do not want to sell one of my guns to afford range costs. but I do not mind paying a little more if I get something for it.

I do not want to drive more than an hour max to have to shoot. Shoot more and drive less.

I want a place I am comfortable taking my kids to and have my wife feel comfortable.

I've emptied mags fairly quickly at BA, never an issue. So a few guys empty out big mags from AMD's and AR's as well.

I really want to empty them a bit faster at fort dix, just didnt know if it was frowned upon.

6. No astronomical fees

7. No silly rules, only smart ones.

8. I don't have to buy "their" ammo

9. Nice people

10. SAFE environment where I would feel comfortable taking wife and kids.

Still new to all of this, but these are the basics for what I look for as well as places I can get to without spending forever in the car just getting there. Oh and for an indoor range.. GOOD VENTILATION is a must.

I've only been a member at Cherry Ridge, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The people are nice, and the range has a lot to offer. I've shot at indoor ranges in FL, and didn't care for them. Noisy and claustrophobic. I don't know if the indoor locations in NJ are like that, and I'm not conveniently close to any of them to find out.

As I shoot more, and become more comfortable with the guns, I'd like to try other things. CR doesn't allow draw and fire, rapid fire exercises, or shooting anything but paper targets. I think I'd like to try some of that, and CR isn't the right place for that. A little more variety would be nice. I may drop in on one of the IDPA matches at Shongum and see if I like that.

K

kenw CJRP allows draw and fire you need to attend 3 matches and go before the board and your all set. I attended 3 steel matches and now I am hooked I try to make those if work allows. Good group of folks who are there to have fun and very helpful to new people.

I keep hearing good things about CJRP and Dix, but they're both a long way from Newton. 2 hours or more behind the wheel each way is enough to take the fun out of anything.

K

2 hours or more behind the wheel each way is enough to take the fun out of anything.

Agreed...I'm about 25 mins from dix. The max I would want to drive is about an hour, anything more and its just not fun.

2 Hours is definitely to much, by the time you get there you are already a little drained. Probably just be thinking about the ride home afterward, and not totally enjoy yourself.

My ideal range is a pipe dream I think... def want something safe with not too many silly rules and not very crowded... less than 30 minutes away would be great! I'm not real big on monthly meetings, but don't mind helping out with a clean up/maintenance a couple times a year.

But what I'd really like is something outdoors that's big enough to allow me to draw from a holster and move around a bit. Picking up a gun from a table and standing in a little 4 foot lane to shoot at a target that is directly in front of me, while being pelted with empty cases from the guy shooting 5 feet to my left can be a little annoying at times :roll:

But I've probably been watching too many Magpul Dynamics videos and need a reality check :D