Sign in to follow this  
AntZ

Long Range 9mm pistol?

Some time , setting at a rifle range and waiting to the rifle to cool off a little, I wish to use the time to practice 9mm pistol without packing every thing up and move to the pistol range. I know most of 9mm are not design for shoot accurately at 100+yds. But is there one can shoot very small group at 100+ yards assume the shooter does his part?

Some time , setting at a rifle range and waiting to the rifle to cool off a little, I wish to use the time to practice 9mm pistol without packing every thing up and move to the pistol range. I know most of 9mm are not design for shoot accurately at 100+yds. But is there one can shoot very small group at 100+ yards assume the shooter does his part?

With my Cx4 and a truglo red dot 3x magnifier scope, 100 yd "gongs" are good but in a small group, kinda tough.

Cx4
do you mean the Cx4 carbine. I want find a long range 9mm pistol.

I understand, but 100 yards with pistol sights is tough. You could hit what your aiming at but I don't know about groupings.

How much do you want to spend? If you can afford it, the Sig P210 shooting 147gr bullets, is arguably, one of the, if not the most accurate 9mm pistol you can buy. The pistol is capable of sub 2" groups at 50 yards and come with a target from the factory proving it. You are going to pay for it though. I believe the pistol was designed in the 50's for the Swiss military. You have to love the Swiss and their affection for an accurate weapon. They went off the market for a while, but Sig brought them back to market w/, I believe, 8 variants in 2002 or so. I believe new, they start at about $1800 or so and go up quickly from there. There are models w/ extended barrels and adjustable sights.

Past that, probably the best buy out there are the used HK P7's being sold as West German police trade in's. They are running $650ish. Exceedingly accurate pistol and also very unique. Barrel is fixed to the frame, vs. the typical Browning (think 1911) or Browning modified (think Sig, Glock, and most other modern pistols) system where the barrel unlocks from the frame. The pistol works more like a gas operated semi-auto rifle than a typical pistol in that it uses the expanding gas from the cartridge to cycle.

If you want new and a realistic price, go w/ some variant from CZ. The CZ75/85 series are designed like the Sig P210 in that the slide rides inside the frame, rather than outside the frame like just about every other auto does. I have a CZ75B SA (single action) in .40 and it is a tack driver. I wish the 9mm was available when I purchased this pistol. With the right ammo, you can easily do sub 2" groups at 25 yards.... rather the pistol is capable of it cause I sure as hell can't shoot that well. ;)

If you want new and a realistic price, go w/ some variant from CZ. The CZ75/85 series are designed like the Sig P210 in that the slide rides inside the frame, rather than outside the frame like just about every other auto does. I have a CZ75B SA (single action) in .40 and it is a tack driver. I wish the 9mm was available when I purchased this pistol. With the right ammo, you can easily do sub 2" groups at 25 yards.... rather the pistol is capable of it cause I sure as hell can't shoot that well. ;)

Thanks again. I think I am going to looking into CZ.

...the Sig P210 shooting 147gr bullets, is arguably, one of the, if not the most accurate 9mm pistol you can buy. The pistol is capable of sub 2" groups at 50 yards and come with a target from the factory proving it. You are going to pay for it though. I believe the pistol was designed in the 50's for the Swiss military. You have to love the Swiss and their affection for an accurate weapon. They went off the market for a while, but Sig brought them back to market w/, I believe, 8 variants in 2002 or so. I believe new, they start at about $1800 or so and go up quickly from there. There are models w/ extended barrels and adjustable sights.

You can get an Danish M49 Neuhausen for a fraction of what a SIG P210 costs. They're not as pretty as the P210 but in my experience they shoot just as well. Stick with the 147gr bullets as mentioned in the post above.

"SIG M/49 Commonly known as the Neuhausen in Denmark, is the Danish military issue weapon in 9x19 mm, and is a specially marked version of the P210-1 or P210-2. This has been the standard sidearm of the Danish military for over 40 years, and is now in the process of being replaced."

41601.jpg

--Daniel

P.S. The .357 SIG is a better round for long range pistol shooting :)

...the Sig P210 shooting 147gr bullets, is arguably, one of the, if not the most accurate 9mm pistol you can buy. The pistol is capable of sub 2" groups at 50 yards and come with a target from the factory proving it. You are going to pay for it though. I believe the pistol was designed in the 50's for the Swiss military. You have to love the Swiss and their affection for an accurate weapon. They went off the market for a while, but Sig brought them back to market w/, I believe, 8 variants in 2002 or so. I believe new, they start at about $1800 or so and go up quickly from there. There are models w/ extended barrels and adjustable sights.

You can get an Danish M49 Neuhausen for a fraction of what a SIG P210 costs. They're not as pretty as the P210 but in my experience they shoot just as well. Stick with the 147gr bullets as mentioned in the post above.

"SIG M/49 Commonly known as the Neuhausen in Denmark, is the Danish military issue weapon in 9x19 mm, and is a specially marked version of the P210-1 or P210-2. This has been the standard sidearm of the Danish military for over 40 years, and is now in the process of being replaced."

41601.jpg

--Daniel

P.S. The .357 SIG is a better round for long range pistol shooting :)

Where o' where does one get one of those beauties and for how much? My wallet is looking at me in fear right now!!! The M49 / P210 are one of those holy grail pistols. Seriously, do you have a source for that pistol for purchase?

Other 9mm holy grail pistols....

Steyr GB

HK P9S

Luger

Walther P88

HK P7M8

Surprised nobody brought this up yet...

Get your hands on one of these old LP08 (Artillery) Lugers. Easily reach out to 100 yards and can be attached to a shoulder stock too. Sight is marked out to 800 meters!

There is one at Sarco for $5000. I don't think I would go for that.