45Doll

A Question For Navy Veterans

This is a long shot but I'll try it.

I've been watching reruns of Mr. Roberts for I don't know how long. There's two times in the movie when the crew members, while doing something they'd like to keep private, spit out "Fletcher it!". (I think that's what they're saying. The closed captions don't show it.)

I interpret that to mean 'knock it off', or 'look out'. Something to that effect.

I've searched on the phrase, but only the usage of the noun 'fletcher' comes up, and usually related to something to do with arrows, which makes no sense in this context.

Since the whole movie was on a cargo ship, I though maybe a Navy vet might be familiar with the expression.

Anyone have a clue? I've never heard this phrase anywhere else but this movie.

During World War II, there was a Admiral Frank Jack Fletcher that served in the Pacific.  He commanded at least five Task Forces, including the one that was supposed to relieve Wake Island.

I suppose if you google it you'll find out a lot more, but that's all I remember about him.  Maybe a clue??

24 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

what scene, rough estimate on timeline.

First instance: 19 minutes in.   The crewmembers are using binoculars and telescopes to gawk at the nurses naked in their showers on the island. Then the captain shows up. "Fletcher it!"

Second instance: 54 minutes in. The nurses are now on the ship, going up to a rear deck, where the same crew members have the binoculars the were using. "Fletcher it!" (They don't want the nurses to use them and see what they've been up to.)

Times on the TCM showing, which might include some intro time that was in front of the movie itself.