Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

Off Duty Police

Anybody know if off duty police can walk around in public park, holding hands with a women and walk a dog, while still wearing their uniform and gun?

Noticed a local PD officer must've either moved on my block, or is involved with a woman who lives here.

Now here's the billion dollar question, can an off duty officer stop you if he notices you carrying a gun case? I don't have a driveway, or secure parking area of any kind, but rule of thumb has my pulling my car in front of my place when it's time to load up the war wagon. This could also happen at the Bullet Hole in Belleville on a busy afternoon, and parking there can sometimes be an issue.

Anybody know if off duty police can walk around in public park, holding hands with a women and walk a dog, while still wearing their uniform and gun? I've seen it done on duty. ;)

Noticed a local PD officer must've either moved on my block, or is involved with a woman who lives here.

Now here's the billion dollar question, can an off duty officer stop you if he notices you carrying a gun case? Sure. I don't have a driveway, or secure parking area of any kind, but rule of thumb has my pulling my car in front of my place when it's time to load up the war wagon. This could also happen at the Bullet Hole in Belleville on a busy afternoon, and parking there can sometimes be an issue.

But why would a cop need to stop you if you were just loading stuff in your car? I don't get the question.

because my car would be parked in/on *public property*, and the latest anti gun/ant gang bills signed into law, clearly state that it's a 2nd degree offense to be in possession of a gun on public property.

let's say you have to park two blocks away from the Bullet Hole, based on the what could be a gun case, would this provide enough suspision to warrant a search?

I mean, in NJ, you can't even stop to get gas legally on the way home from the range/gun shop/gun smith.

I try to use non descript cases, coffin cases are great in that regard ;)

Anybody know if off duty police can walk around in public park, holding hands with a women and walk a dog, while still wearing their uniform and gun?

Absolutely. At best it would be addressed by a departmental standard but not a violation of any state statute. As far as on or off duty - as far as an observation of a criminal offense there is no such animal.

I mean, in NJ, you can't even stop to get gas legally on the way home from the range/gun shop/gun smith.

Totally untrue. Where people get this idea is beyond me. To think this was in fact fact would mean another traveling cross country would have to carry enough fuel to travel three thousand miles non-stop. This is nothing more than a uninformed internet myth.

Totally untrue. Where people get this idea is beyond me. To think this was in fact fact would mean another traveling cross country would have to carry enough fuel to travel three thousand miles non-stop. This is nothing more than a uninformed internet myth.

Could it be urban myth? I've heard stories of people getting arrested, and charged with weapons violations, for either stopping for gas, coffee, lunch, all in the course of going home from whatever shooting event, as well as simply getting lost on the first trip to a new range. All supposedly happened in NJ.

I wish we could compile a layperson's guild to gun ownership in NJ, cause under these new anti gun/anti gang laws, firearms in vehicles are a no no, and I can't seem to find any exceptions for being locked up in the trunk and seperate from the ammo.

without quoting it since i do not know it off the top of my head...

but it is something to the effect of.. "shall not make any stops that are not reasonably necessary"

they would be hard pressed to prove that getting gas was not needed.. lol

stopping for lunch on the other hand? might be questionable..

It's an urban myth and complete nonsense propagated by people who seemingly would like to make matters worse in NJ. The law states that when transporting a firearm that you may make stops within a reasonable distance from your route. Meaning that you can stop for gas or grab some food (I've done both). It doesn't mean that you can go and visit the inlaws three counties over. But, then again why would you!?!?!

It's an urban myth and complete nonsense propagated by people who seemingly would like to make matters worse in NJ. The law states that when transporting a firearm that you may make stops within a reasonable distance from your route. Meaning that you can stop for gas or grab some food (I've done both). It doesn't mean that you can go and visit the inlaws three counties over. But, then again why would you!?!?!

This I dont know of anyone it has ever happened to on the Non LEo side or any LEO who has done this on that side..it's always the printed story of "My Friend" or My Cousin" or my "Sister's Boyfriend" there are anti0gun cops, yes, but the majority of cops are either neutral or pro-gun for Joe Citizen.

I've dealt with someone who on the way home from a range stopped in our town for dinner. while inside, the vehicle was broken into and all the firearms were stolen. While the idiot left all his firearms in the rear of his CJ Jeep with a soft top making it incredibly easy to steal the items he was not charged.

I've heard stories of people getting arrested, and charged with weapons violations, for either stopping for gas, coffee, lunch, all in the course of going home

Care to share these instances? I'd imagine they are fourth hand information as stated, from a friend or a friend who heard it. If the stop is reasonable, it will be no problem.

I'll go on the books in stating that the person who left their firearms unattended in a soft top Jeep is an idiot. What an incredibly negligent thing to do. :evil: I can only hope that non of them were ever used in a crime. But, I'll assume that they probably have been or will be.

I've dealt with someone who on the way home from a range stopped in our town for dinner. while inside, the vehicle was broken into and all the firearms were stolen. While the idiot left all his firearms in the rear of his CJ Jeep with a soft top making it incredibly easy to steal the items he was not charged.

I've heard stories of people getting arrested, and charged with weapons violations, for either stopping for gas, coffee, lunch, all in the course of going home

Care to share these instances? I'd imagine they are fourth hand information as stated, from a friend or a friend who heard it. If the stop is reasonable, it will be no problem.