45Doll

7-16-23 Tornado Warning and Flooding

So at 5:40 this morning our Alarm.com panel sounder went off with a tornado warning. (The message sounder, not the break-in siren.) There was radar indicated rotation in eastern/central Morris County about 30 miles from us, although I haven't seen any report of a touchdown this morning. Tons of flooding in Sussex and Warren though. Route 46 in White Township is washed out. Lots of power outages as you probably know.

And now (at 10:02) a tornado warning just went up for Montgomery and Philadelphia in PA.

Fortunately our power never went out.

Photos: Heavy rain causes bridge collapse, flooding in Warren County - WRNJ Radio

I’ve been really frustrated with the short term weather forecasts.  I have been paying close attention since the kids have been playing outside and I’ve had the inflatables set up.  The weather app will call for Armageddon in an hour but it always gets pushed back or fizzles out.  I rush to take everything down only for the kids to complain that it is sunny all afternoon.   On the flip side it will call for sun and low probability of rain only for a cell to pop up and dump 4” of rain in an hour and rip out trees.   

23 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I’ve been really frustrated with the short term weather forecasts.

I tend to ignore forecasts and instead monitor the radar.  You can still have storms pop up, but it's been the most accurate way for me to get an idea of what's going to happen in the next 30 mins or so.

• Agree 1

6.5" of rain here in Hopewell Township, Mercer County.  We had a power surge Saturday evening that caused our sump pump to blow out after 17 years (2 rebuilds).  I spent the rest of the night bucket bailing the pit out, but it overflowed anyway.  We sent out the Bat signal to the 'hood and got some temporary pumps working.  Called the emergency plumber eventually and he installed a new pump.  Thankfully, we sustained minimal damage, having gone through a catastrophic flood event about 10 years ago.  We did get lazy and had stuff directly on the floor.  I expect to get a dumpster in the coming weeks.

My wife woke me up Sunday morning with the news that one of our neighbors (single-ish widow of a former trooper) had her sump pump start acting up and water was coming into her basement.  I scrubbed my teeth, got dressed, hopped in the truck and ran over there with my borrowed pumps.  We got those going and started diagnosing her pump's issues.  Turns out that her discharge pipe, which goes to the curb, was under pressure from that which was flowing (curb high) in the street.  The pump kept running 100% of the time and crapped out.  Thankfully, her brother-in-law had a spare and brought that over.  We installed it and after a trip to Home Depot, got her back to 100%.

Advil and Jack are currently being used to treat my pains.  I'm not used to walking up and down the stairs so frequently.  I live in a ranch house for a reason.  And, uncharacteristically for me, I have (temporary) faith in humanity.  My neighbors really stepped up and lent a hand and tools to help us.  I usually am the one doing the helping, so this was a new experience.

• Like 2