7-3-2

Returning home

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a complete 180 and after 7+ years of living near Charlotte NC I am heading back to NJ (maybe PA long term but who knows).

I know you are all going to think I'm crazy but with schools going to hell and overcrowding being a serious problem (their infrastructure is NOT ready to support the population growth and traffic) I decided why not give it another shot up north near family.

For now I am back with family as we close on our house and look around out here. I have heard from people not in the gun community that ccw is now a possibility? ( I highly doubt it's easy or likely but I'd love some info).

I am looking for any advice on what is new law wise (outside of the dumb 10 mag law) and if anyone has any clue of now that I'm back if all my weapons need to be re-registered and what to do with any "evil features" once the move is made ... Ugh ... Definitely not one of the pluses about being back in the nanny state lol.

Welcome back.  Yes, you can now obtain your NJ CCW permit.

Some good steps on how to:  https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/

We have a handy dandy topic on where you can carry that I keep (generally) updated with all of the laws/lawsuits/battles/wins/losses going on.

There was a change in the law a while ago, and now anyone moving into NJ with firearms has to apply for an FPIC and register any handguns.

2C:58-3 Purchase of firearms.
   2C:58-3. o.   Registration of handguns owned by new residents. Any person who becomes a resident of this State following the effective date of P.L.2022, c.52 and who transports into this State a firearm that the person owned or acquired while residing in another state shall apply for a firearms purchaser identification card within 60 days of becoming a New Jersey resident, and shall register any handgun so transported into this State within 60 days as provided in this subsection.

A person who registers a handgun pursuant to this subsection shall complete a registration statement, which shall be in a form prescribed by the superintendent. The information provided in the registration statement shall include, but shall not be limited to, the name and address of the person and the make, model, and serial number of the handgun being registered. Each registration statement shall be signed by the person, and the signature shall constitute a representation of the accuracy of the information contained in the registration statement.

The registration statement shall be submitted to the law enforcement agency of the municipality in which the person resides or, if the municipality does not have a municipal law enforcement agency, any State Police station.

Within 60 days prior to the effective date of P.L.2022, c.52, the superintendent shall prepare the form of registration statement as described in this subsection and shall provide a suitable supply of statements to each organized full-time municipal police department and each State Police station.

A person who fails to apply for a firearms purchaser identification card or register a handgun as required pursuant to this subsection shall be granted 30 days to comply with the provisions of this subsection. If the person does not comply within 30 days, the person shall be liable to a civil penalty of $250 for a first offense and shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense for a second or subsequent offense.

If a person is in possession of multiple firearms or handguns in violation of this subsection, the person shall be guilty of one offense under this subsection provided the violation is a single event.

The civil penalty shall be collected pursuant to the "Penalty Enforcement Law of 1999," P.L.1999, c.274 (C.2A:58-10 et seq.) in a summary proceeding before the municipal court having jurisdiction. A law enforcement officer having enforcement authority in that municipality may issue a summons for a violation, and may serve and execute all process with respect to the enforcement of this subsection consistent with the Rules of Court.

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

There was a change in the law a while ago, and now anyone moving into NJ with firearms has to apply for an FPIC and register any handguns.

Wow.  When did that change? So NJ is codifying into law a firearm registration.

This has to be being challenged no? 

First reason would be equal protection.  They are only requiring certain people to register.  Those who moved in to State after "X" date.  It's not applying law equally 

2nd, they are outright saying they are creating a firearm registry.  At least of new citizens.

FYI - NJ State Police web page still says registration when moving into NJ is voluntary (as long as NJ legal). Either it hasn't been updated or this new mandatory registration for new residents is a proposal?  Will need to look more into it.

Update- looking at the actual law, it has indeed changed and NJ State Police website has NOT been updated