xXxplosive

Ankle Carry.........let's hear it.

I'm far from a first timer.  Only been carrying for nearly 50 years.  Ankle carry inside of weak side ankle.  Draw by dropping to strong knee.

Who are these "experts" who carry outside of ankle? Which ankle? How do they draw?

• Agree 2

Strong leg, outside..........Hmmm.

An alternate carry mode  sometimes used by experienced shooters.

They place the ankle holster on the strong-side leg on the inside of the ankle. The butt of the gun is facing forward.

This would make an awkward draw under most circumstances.

However, if seated or driving, all that is needed is to cross the legs and the gun butt is readily at hand. 

If the ankle holster is secure and you practice, there are many options.

19 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Strong leg, outside..........Hmmm.

An alternate carry mode  sometimes used by experienced shooters.

They place the ankle holster on the strong-side leg on the inside of the ankle. The butt of the gun is facing forward.

This would make an awkward draw under most circumstances.

However, if seated or driving, all that is needed is to cross the legs and the gun butt is readily at hand. 

If the ankle holster is secure and you practice, there are many options.

I've known a lot of experienced shooters and none of them would use this method.

Awkward draw using this method.  

Inside weak side ankle, gun butt to rear.  It's like drawing from a owb very natural.  Easy get seated or driving.

Many options (with an ankle holster) I don't think so. Requires additional movement to cover the distance between your hand and your gun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

I could see the "gun butt forward" method if your riding as a passenger in a vehicle maybe........not as a driver behind the wheel, naturally.

Another thing to learn.  Butt to the rear weak side ankle inside is like drawing from a OWB.

Don't overthink things. Keep them simple.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I'm far from a first timer.  Only been carrying for nearly 50 years.  Ankle carry inside of weak side ankle.  Draw by dropping to strong knee.

Who are these "experts" who carry outside of ankle? Which ankle? How do they draw?

@GRIZ is right as usual. Inside of the support side ankle.

I like Don Hume for ankle rigs, although I very rarely carry that way. 

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Incorrect.

I can not think of any benefits to ankle carry.  Next to small of the back it I'd the second worst carry position.  With today's holsters you can stay consesld wearing just about any thing 

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Vdep217 said:

Why not give examples or back up your position. 

I don’t feel like arguing.

You are right. You convinced me. I’m on your side now. Ankle carry is useless.

I mean if you can’t think of any reasons why I may want to carry a gun on my ankle, what’s the point in supporting my position to you, right?

Since your circumstances are universal and all, and since you know what is best for me and my situation at all times, I’m just going to take your word on it and throw my ankle rigs in the trash. 

What’s your number? I want to call you when I make decisions on how to carry my gun for my specific needs. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I don’t feel like arguing.

You are right. You convinced me. I’m on your side now. Ankle carry is useless.

I mean if you can’t think of any reasons why I may want to carry a gun on my ankle, what’s the point in supporting my position to you, right?

Since your circumstances are universal and all, and since you know what is best for me and my situation at all times, I’m just going to take your word on it and throw my ankle rigs in the trash. 

What’s your number? I want to call you when I make decisions on how to carry my gun for my specific needs. 

99 percent of people I've talked to want to use ankle carry because they say they can't conceal wearing certain clothing.   I can see having an ankle gun as a back up but as a main carry it is very hard to get to.  There are many situations were drawing discreet are paramount and ankle carry does not support that.   Now take nj for iinstance where you must retreat it is very hard to be moving and draw from the ankle .  Carry how you feel mist comfortable but I stand by my position

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Vdep217 said:

99 percent of people I've talked to want to use ankle carry because they say they can't conceal wearing certain clothing.   I can see having an ankle gun as a back up but as a main carry it is very hard to get to.  There are many situations were drawing discreet are paramount and ankle carry does not support that.   Now take nj for iinstance where you must retreat it is very hard to be moving and draw from the ankle .  Carry how you feel mist comfortable but I stand by my position

Okay. You're convinced ankle carry is useless.

Ankle carry can be discreet. Use your imagination.

Needing to retreat is not an issue here. You are confronted and must act to save yourself.  Ankle carry may be one of the options you have.

• Agree 1

@GRIZ it seems like you weren’t listening amigo. @Vdep217 already said it’s useless because he can’t think of any benefit to ankle carry. So, you can’t use it anymore. Sorry my friend - you are going to have to do something different.

99% of the people he talked to only use it because they can’t conceal it any other way.

You gotta stop fighting it. With supporting facts like that, you just have to admit - he’s right. I mean, it’s practically science - I’m convinced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

If you find yourself on your arse, you might wish you had a mouse on your ankle...........omo.

I stated as a back up it was good but as main carry not so much.  I used the word useless maybe I should have said outdated as main carry

13 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

I stated as a back up it was good but as main carry not so much.  I used the word useless maybe I should have said outdated as main carry

Not outdated for your main carry.

The problem with ankle carry is accessibility.  It is the longest reach to get your hand on your gun.  I described earlier.  I'll talk about that later.

You're also limited to the size of the gun you carry.  Much easier in the 70s when you could wear bell bottoms. AFAIK a Glock 26 size is about as big a gun you can ankle carry although I knew people who carried a Glock 19 on their ankle.

I've used it as my main carry, carrying one when:

1. When attire dictates that's the only way you can effectively conceal.

and/or

2.  I'm in a low threat environment where the likelihood of needing a gun is extremely low.

Going back to #1 do you think these criminals that hug one another are so happy to see one another? No, they are surreptitiously patting one another down.

Going back to #2.  Many feel that you must CCW ready to fight off a terrorist attack.  You must carry a full size handgun preferably with 3 15-17 rd magazines available for reload.  There are people that need to do so.  I'm not one of them anymore and when I was I would prefer a shotgun, sub gun, M4, or AUG.

What are the stats of how many concealed carry people ever need to fight a bad guy?

Nearly all of us that carry only need something that stops our attacker and enables us to get away from danger. Considering gunfight statistics, you can do that with a j frame or 380 both of which fit nicely in an ankle rig.

Going back to accessibility.  Even if you're wearing an OWB holster with your full size handgun you'd be stupid to try to outdraw an attacker who already has their gun out and pointed at you.

You need to practice situational awareness and have your gun out before the bad guy has theirs out.  This is not always possible however not impossible.

Ankle holsters are an option at times even for a primary carry.  If you say their outdated and think they're worthless you're only giving up many of the options you have available.

You said there are zero reasons to use an ankle holster. You've also said with today's holsters you can conceal carry.just about anything without using an ankle holster.

You're wrong on both counts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Not outdated for your main carry.

The problem with ankle carry is accessibility.  It is the longest reach to get your hand on your gun.  I described earlier.  I'll talk about that later.

You're also limited to the size of the gun you carry.  Much easier in the 70s when you could wear bell bottoms. AFAIK a Glock 26 size is about as big a gun you can ankle carry although I knew people who carried a Glock 19 on their ankle.

I've used it as my main carry, carrying one when:

1. When attire dictates that's the only way you can effectively conceal.

and/or

2.  I'm in a low threat environment where the likelihood of needing a gun is extremely low.

Going back to #1 do you think these criminals that hug one another are so happy to see one another? No, they are surreptitiously patting one another down.

Going back to #2.  Many feel that you must CCW ready to fight off a terrorist attack.  You must carry a full size handgun preferably with 3 15-17 rd magazines available for reload.  There are people that need to do so.  I'm not one of them anymore and when I was I would prefer a shotgun, sub gun, M4, or AUG.

What are the stats of how many concealed carry people ever need to fight a bad guy?

Nearly all of us that carry only need something that stops our attacker and enables us to get away from danger. Considering gunfight statistics, you can do that with a j frame or 380 both of which fit nicely in an ankle rig.

Going back to accessibility.  Even if you're wearing an OWB holster with your full size handgun you'd be stupid to try to outdraw an attacker who already has their gun out and pointed at you.

You need to practice situational awareness and have your gun out before the bad guy has theirs out.  This is not always possible however not impossible.

Ankle holsters are an option at times even for a primary carry.  If you say their outdated and think they're worthless you're only giving up many of the options you have available.

You said there are zero reasons to use an ankle holster. You've also said with today's holsters you can conceal carry.just about anything without using an ankle holster.

You're wrong on both counts.

As I said as a back up gun yes but personally nit main.  Of course there are situations that it may be more practical but not enough to justifymain carry for me.   I carry a ruger lc380 wich I'm switching for s&w csx for every day.  With that said there are many holsters for full size guns that conceal well.  I'm 5ft4 and 185 lbs.  With a alien gear iwb I can carry a full size 1911 with shorts and tee shirt and you would never know.  I guess maybe it's the way I was brought up around carry always have it accessible as possible.   Wich in my opinion appendix is best for both accessible and protective but there are many situations that accessibility can be hindered. I personally carry at 4oclock and find I can draw from a vehicle even with  a seat belt on.  

Carry beats no carry any day of the week. Use any available option to suit your circumstances. 

While I think that ankle carry isn’t the most ideal way to carry a handgun (for me), it beats nothing at all. If that was my only available option for my particular situation, damn skippy I’d use it. 

All options are on the table. Except SERPA holsters, they are just stupid. :peep:

• Agree 2