bennj

WMA permissible targets

Good afternoon,

Does anyone know if spinner type steel targets are permitted using a .22 rifle at the WMAs that have centerfire/muzzleloader ranges, particularly at Collier's Mill? From what I've read on the WMA site, only paper targets are permitted but I've also heard that steel spinners are permitted using .22 only. Thanks in advance for any info.

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Range-Descriptions-2023.png

I can't decide if it's ironic or moronic that a pistol caliber carbine in 9 or 38 is forbidden but a .30-06 is good to go, for safety.

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

WMA Centerfire ranges are for hunting calibers, that's why.

It's a proven fact you can humanely harvest a deer with a .357 lever gun. It's legal in many states. 

8 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Oh of course - I meant NJ Legal hunting calibers... 

It's just further proof that NJ sucks. I plan on bringing an Alec Bradley Sunday, How about 

you?

On 11/30/2023 at 4:38 PM, bennj said:

Good afternoon,

Does anyone know if spinner type steel targets are permitted using a .22 rifle at the WMAs that have centerfire/muzzleloader ranges, particularly at Collier's Mill? From what I've read on the WMA site, only paper targets are permitted but I've also heard that steel spinners are permitted using .22 only. Thanks in advance for any info.

Others have posted the official rules above. However I have been to Collier-Mills many times during the past ten years and have almost always brought 22lr spinners with me. Both the metal kind as well as the orange rubber kind. I usually set them up at 25 yards. Never had any issues. On several occasions I have brought and setup AR500 steel at the 100 yard line. It is the people who bring disk brake rotors, paint cans,  car windshields, etc who are the problem. 

• Agree 1

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't hunt, but have had a hunter's license for a few years. Old guysrule649, I just picked up a .22 rifle and would like to use Colliers Mills to try it out. I made a simple target stand out of 2x4s and would like to use a small steel spinner as well. It will be my first time shooting at a WMA range.