Sign in to follow this  
Tash329

10" Barrel For Thompson Machine Gun

I have a Kahr Thompson Machine Gun with a 16.5 inch barrel. If I purchase the $200 stamp (not sure its still $200), is it then legal in NJ (like many other states)to then which to the 10" barrel? Or does NJ restrict barrel length to only 16.5 inchs. not matter what?

You should probably wait until someone with certainty answers your question, however, I believe that would be considered a machine gun in NJ, and in order to get a machine gun permit, you would have to qualify for a CCW, which jesus himself would have a hard time getting.

So, technically, it is possible, but in reality, no can do.

First off, you are implying that you have a Class III full auto. Which is quite a "no-no" in NJ.

Second, you want to make it into a SBR "Short Barrel Rifle" in conjunction with a Class III full auto status.

Mine as well go for the full package and apply for a suppressor. :roll:

So therefore, your answer is: NO WAY IN HELL!!!

Gawd, NJ sucks.

The question is a conversion to a SBR. At no point did he specify a FA firearm. The firearm is offered by auto Ordinance which is owned by Kahr and is not available in a FA configuration.

The answer the question, NJ does not permit SBR or conversions. Even if allowed, the cost would be several hundred dollars. I don't think it is worth the effort to produce a firearm that is going to further reduce an already slow cartridge and reduce the accuracy by reducing the sight radius.

The question is a conversion to a SBR. At no point did he specify a FA firearm. The firearm is offered by auto Ordinance which is owned by Kahr and is not available in a FA configuration.

The answer the question, NJ does not permit SBR or conversions. Even if allowed, the cost would be several hundred dollars. I don't think it is worth the effort to produce a firearm that is going to further reduce an already slow cartridge and reduce the accuracy by reducing the sight radius.

Actually Rich, he DID in fact say "Machine Gun" But that said you're right Nj doens tallow for SBR at all.

well the OP misrepresented what he had, which is in fact an Auto-Ord Thompson CARBINE, which is perfectly legal in NJ.

SBR's are a no go in NJ, so dont even waste your time.

and a third thing, dont call a semi automatic rifle a machine gun, just because it looks like one (even though the correct term in this instance would be sub-machine gun, if in fact we were all living in another state and you had a transferrable NFA thompson.) some people might think you are "uninformed"

Thanks everyone for your input. I should have been more clear---that Kahr only makes a semi-auto carbine, not the machine gun. My point was to shorten the barrel to be more in keeping with the orginial in looks only. My thinking to was that if a handgun has a short barrel then shortening the barrel on my Kahr from 16.5" to 10" may only reguire getting a handgun permit for the change. "SEMPER PARATUS"