I'm living here for 8 years now. I got my FID card 8 years ago and probably had to have an SP66 mental health check then. Since I already had one done 8 years ago did I have to submit another one for the 2 years I lived in NY for my CCW? The previous one should be on file. I bought numerous handguns since and never needed one. 

21 hours ago, FDHog said:

I'm living here for 8 years now. I got my FID card 8 years ago and probably had to have an SP66 mental health check then. Since I already had one done 8 years ago did I have to submit another one for the 2 years I lived in NY for my CCW? The previous one should be on file. I bought numerous handguns since and never needed one. 

I'm certainly NAL, but my understanding is that anyone who relocates to NJ needs to complete and submit the mental health check form. If, during that 2 year hiatus, you were a legal resident of NY State and not of NJ, my expectation is that the form will be required of you. I'd be very happy to be wrong about that, but don't expect any accomodations from NJ on strict interpretation of any firearms regulation, no matter how much sense those accomodations might make.

1 hour ago, FDHog said:

Pretty sure had to fill one out for my initial FID so I don’t think I’m required again. They already would’ve checked with NY. 

This is New Jersey government you are talking about. There has never been any joined-up-thinking here. The process says check the mental health records going back 10 years for an initial application, and renewals are to be treated just like initial applications.

It doesn't matter to them that you lived in NY 8-10 years ago and they got those records before. They have to get them again - you know, just in case 8-10 year old history changed since they last got a copy of those records.

It required dragging them kicking and screaming to accept that being fingerprinted every time you applied for a PCH was pointless. You know, fingerprints that they use to identify you because everybody's are unique and unchanging have to be taken again, just in case they changed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I see your point, but I also bought about 12 handguns since then and have never been asked for a Mental Health Check. They seem pretty gun friendly here.

I put in a call to my local PD to ask if they needed anything else and never got a return call. Go figure. What are they gonna do, wait for 60 days and then tell me they need the Sp66. 

Stopped by the PD today to ask in person. Officer said I was good to go just waiting to get in touch with my references. They were very accommodating. But, It's been 5 1/2 weeks, what's the delay?

Hello and sorry to ask if this has been answered elsewhere.  I used the search function and it took me here.  I applied for my CCW in November and have not been able to get it because NYC has not send back some type of mental health form.   My local PD (Aberdeen) said there is nothing they can do.  Any advice would be appreciated