maintenanceguy

NJ Data on Carry Permits - Cooking the Books

I'm fortunate enough to live in one of NJ's rural areas with several very small towns.  I know a few people who have received their carry permits.  The data can be found here: https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/nj.office.of.justice.data/viz/PermittoCarryDashboard/Intro   (click the "municipal data" tab near the top of the page).

• My township shows zero permits issued.  I have one and I know someone else who has one.  That's two and I don't know 2% of the people in my township.
  • One township near me shows 1, I know of three.
  • Another township shows zero and I know of two.

Looks like the "official" data is about 1/3 of the people I know that have permits and a tiny, tiny fraction of the people I don't know.

• Informative 2

15 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

Looks like the "official" data is about 1/3 of the people I know that have permits and a tiny, tiny fraction of the people I don't know.

I'm wondering if NJOAG actually received a response/data from those towns, or just interpreted non-response as "No permits issued."

Anthony Colandro at GunForHire is questioning the total number of permits at ~35k - per his records they qualified ~14k people, and he doubts that ~1/3rd of all PTC's received qualified through his range.

• Informative 1

20 minutes ago, FDHog said:

Mine was approved on March 5 and they don't show any approvals for my town in March at all.

It’s still March. The data isn’t reported to the State portal until the next month.

Every Chief of Police has to upload the previous month’s CCW data (approval/rejection) to an online portal on the first of the next month. March’s data won’t get uploaded until AFTER April 1.

Look at the data. There are no results for March 2024

This is per NJAG Directive 2023-02

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

I'm wondering if NJOAG actually received a response/data from those towns, or just interpreted non-response as "No permits issued."

Anthony Colandro at GunForHire is questioning the total number of permits at ~35k - per his records they qualified ~14k people, and he doubts that ~1/3rd of all PTC's received qualified through his range.

my town only shows 75 permits. if i go by what i was told when i filed my application, they were hammered with them. i'd venture that there's more than 75 permits in my town.

City and state agencies always fudge the numbers to suit their narrative. Look at NYC “Crime is Down” according to statistics.  what a friggin joke. 

• Agree 1

So, back in the day, way back in October of 2022, Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin quoted Senate President Nicholas Scutari about the number of applicants.

"Coughlin, referencing what Scutari said were State Police statistics, said there have been 300,000 applications for concealed-carry permits in New Jersey since June."

So, were they lying then or are they lying now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

So, were they lying then or are they lying now?

My take is Coughlin/Scutari were being hyperbolic and probably mis-quoting NJSP's estimate that 200k would apply for PTC's after the Bruen decision.

So I guess the answer is they were lying then.  And probably lying now too.

19 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Those reports are skewed.  It says 1 issued in hopewell twsp.   I guess the 1 is me.  And only me. 

And you know that there are WAY more than that because, well, you know.

Fuckers...