Sign in to follow this  
JonF

Any Mosin shooters/collectors out there?

I recently jumped into the foray of Mosin Nagants when shooting/buying guns in common calibers was next to impossible during the great hoarding shortage of 09. I picked up an M44 from Gander Mountain in the winter than a 91/30 in the spring plus a few cans of ammo. My M44 seems to have a sewer pipe bore but shoots so-so. Actually, i haven't spent much time with it since i've been shooting the M91 more since i put a scout scope on it. This is actually my first centerfire rifle so i've been messing around with it trying to get used to the art of long range rifle shooting down at Ft Dix Range 14. Frankly i'm not that happy with the scout scope since its just a low mag pistol scope with fixed parallax and shooting out past 100 is tough. So much so that i'm gonna take the scout scope off and put on a traditional rifle scope with a receiver mount that does not alter the rifle. I already have the mount and a bent bolt on the way, just need to settle on a scope. These $100 rifles add up quick! In the mean time, i have to get the M44 out there and shoot with the irons again. Do any of you folks have a nagging case of Mosinitis? :mrgreen:

IMG_1778.jpg

Yeah, i'm not too enthralled with it either. it was a fun experiment but it has its share of shortfalls. The next setup i want to try is this traditionally positioned mount from advanced rifle parts. It does not require any alteration to the rifle whatsoever thereby preserving the originality of the piece.

http://www.advancedrifleparts.com

9130Scope2.jpg

For the money, i would put an original scope and mount on it. Make yourself a PU sniper. If the gun is just a 91-30 without any special markings and not a 91, just go for it. They are fun and quite easy to do, pretty much all you need is a drill press and good tap. It is also quite fun going enemy at the gates style at the range. :mrgreen:

Holy Crp Batman - I should pay as much for a SCOPE MOUNT as for a rifle? And then I have to find a bent bolt and scope? I think I'll save up for a Rem 700.

Fair enough, but if i gave you a free Rem 700 SPS rifle, would you never spend a dime on shooting it because ammo/accessories cost more than the free gun? I understand the juxtaposition and contrasts of costs here but it just so happens that mosins are exceptionally inexpensive whereas the other stuff (mounts, scopes, etc) carry more common market appropriate costs. Plus its fun to experiment! :)

My friend had this old Sun computer lying around from the 90's and donated it to the shooting trip. The chassis is made of much heavier sheet metal than current computers and although its probably only about 18" square, its a tank! I set it up at the max distance at the range which is 225 yards and the Mosin 91/30 was perforating it with ease! A couple shots with the tokarev managed to puncture through the parts with minimal steel and only dent the spots with multiple layers. Those shots weren't easy to make with the tokarev pistol at that distance as there were way more misses than hits. :lol:

Holy Crp Batman - I should pay as much for a SCOPE MOUNT as for a rifle? And then I have to find a bent bolt and scope? I think I'll save up for a Rem 700.

Fair enough, but if i gave you a free Rem 700 SPS rifle, would you never spend a dime on shooting it because ammo/accessories cost more than the free gun? I understand the juxtaposition and contrasts of costs here but it just so happens that mosins are exceptionally inexpensive whereas the other stuff (mounts, scopes, etc) carry more common market appropriate costs. Plus its fun to experiment! :)

I understand your point. Certainly understand the experiment portion. I was considering using the M44 as a hunting rifle (obviously outside NJ) and now I'm not so sure as I would really want a scope on a hunter and I would prefer not to drill and tap a receiver to do so.

Have a 1941 Izzy 91/30 that I have yet to get to the range. Nice #s mtaching gun though with a decent stock and a clean barrel that wasn't counter bored

dscn4136.jpg

dscn4137.jpg

dscn4138.jpg

dscn4139.jpg

It was an arsenal refurb coated in cosmoline. Picked up a post war sling as well as a bayonet for it. Now just need to see how it shoots.

I briefly toyed with the idea of a scope, but I decided I didn't want to muck around with a clean vintage rifle, even if it was only $85. I'd rather see if I can learn to shoot the iron sights well.

Left: 1941 Izhevsk M91/30 with laminate stock, bluing in great condition, no counterbore

Right: 1943 Tula M91/30 ex-sniper, bluing in great condition, no counterbore

Soon to come: M38 and Polish M44

CIMG5209.jpg

Is your bayonet properly affixed? Looks like the one on the right is just sitting on the muzzle

Is your bayonet properly affixed? Looks like the one on the right is just sitting on the muzzle

Left one - yes, right one - no. It's a tight fit for the right one and I didn't feel like having to muscle it off. I'm going to have to polish the inside diameter of the bayonet hoop.

I have a 1942 Finnish M39 (Sako barrel) that I just shot for the first time last weekend. I was impressed by the accuracy off a rest using surplus ammo and iron sights. The Finns really knew how to get the most out of the Mosin. I have a feeling that this particular rifle will shoot better that I can aim but I am stubbornly resisting a scope right now to see if I can master, or at least become competent with the iron sights.

Next up, I hope to find a good Russian M38 or M44 (when funds permit).

they can be had on Gun Broker for less if you keep you eye out, mine was $85, bought a couple of months back, but as he said, they have been creeping up in price. Its largely a function of when a whole bunch of them are imported at once and dumped on the market, you'll see decent ones for around $100. Finns are obviously at a premium, as are Hex receiver Tulas and ex-snipers