Sign in to follow this  
223lover

Serial number XXX

worse, they could report it stolen..

The Popo doesn't list items as stolen without proof of serial numbers. And why would someone do that anyway?

Assuming you could somehow report it, I could see plenty of reasons to do so if you have malice in your heart. Next time that gun hits an FFL and a transfer is made, all sort of trouble would ensure.

No check is done by the dealer or police department. I even doubt that the data reduction center does checks either. It can go unchecked forever.

Isn't there some kind of Police database with Stolen guns in it?

Yes, NCIC. But who is going to do the check? No one's gun will be entered without proof that it was the reporting parties to start with. Just as if I claim that my car was stolen and give the police your vin number. Why would the police assume the liability of entering something as stolen without proof that it was the reporting party's and not someone elses.

worse, they could report it stolen..

The Popo doesn't list items as stolen without proof of serial numbers. And why would someone do that anyway?

How could I prove they were mine and that they were stolen. Most of my guns were inherited. I wrote down all the serial numbers in case. Was that for my own well being?

If you had a serial number and you report something stolen, it's been stolen. Otherwise you'd be filing a false report and that would land you in big trouble. I suppose you could see a gun you liked, file a police report purporting it to be stolen, but if you can't prove you possessed it before it was stolen, you are back to square one. The burden of proof lies with the accuser. Or am I getting lost? :?