Greydaddy

Primers

I just got 5K SR and 5K LR Wolf primers from Wideners, so after this I will set for rifle for a while.

Interestingly, Wolf primers are supposed to be of the highest quality. I read an analysis in a Benchrest Shooting magazine that had very good quantitative things to say about them.

On the other hand, most of my loads have been established with CCI, so it's good to have them.

Did you ever see much of a pressure difference between standard primers?

Not any perceptible difference, including chrono numbers.

THe people who notice the difference are the BR shooters, who only have a 0.1" group at 300 yds, but everything matters to those guys.

In my rush to get my order in as quickly as possible, i forgot the dies haha. I should be able to get them without driving too far hopefully though. I heard Cheyenne has powder maybe i'll call them tomorrow morning to see if they've got what something I can use and some dies.

In my rush to get my order in as quickly as possible, i forgot the dies haha. I should be able to get them without driving too far hopefully though. I heard Cheyenne has powder maybe i'll call them tomorrow morning to see if they've got what something I can use and some dies.

I'd definitely call first. Last time I was down there, they seemed to be pretty focused on the hunting aspect of the sport. Not too much in true "gun" accessories. They may have stuff in the back though.

Cheyenne has a "powder safe" in their back room, and they sometimes have some powder that you might want. They usually mostly have 1lb of each of several less popular powders, and very little of the most popular. If you want IMR4895, IMR3031, Varget, H335, etc, you should definitely call first.

The place down the road clearly used to be a big reloading place, with 5 or 6 example presses setup, shelf space for a ton of dies and bullets, but almost nothing left for months, and I think they're not trying to restock.

Dunkelbergers in Stroudsburg had everthing I needed a week ago, including bullets, powder, primers and even an extra die set I needed.

You went all the way out there, huh?

I have a house in Skytop, PA, which is only about 20 minutes from Stroudsburg, so sometime during weekends out there I try to make it to Dunk's.

They had an M1 Garand for $495 in the used rack when I was there. Wood was a little loose, but action seemed OK. Potentially a good deal, but I have a very nice one so didn't need another.