Maksim

AK chews brass

All of the rounds coming out of the vepr are damanged either at the case neck or dinged on the body.

doing a search, found someone stating this...

"As stated above, the AK has a very violent ejection. Upon extraction, the case gets ripped from the chamber and slammed into the fixed ejector causing the case to do a just short of 180 degree turn and smashes the upper neck of the case into either the bolt carrier, charging handle, or side of the receiver, flinging it out a mile away from the rifle at seemingly 200 miles/hour, inbetween 1:00 and 3:30 ...

Yep, that picture shows the tell tale signs of a Kalishnikov's chaotic ejection..."

how common of an issue is this? can anything be done? esp if was trying to reload the cases.

I actually found a solution. door guards.

will try it out....

door guards work fine.. common saiga problem..

how common of an issue is this? can anything be done? esp if was trying to reload the cases.

Very common, pretty much everyone I have and have handled does this however some are worse then others. AK's were built to shoot Russian steel cased ammo in order to keep cost down.

Harder primer strikes and harder then brass.

I don't think they were worried about reloading the casings when it was designed. :D

I have a friend that has the same problem with a PTR 91 rifle, the ejection system is very enthusiastic. He reloads his brass. Some of the dings in the cases do not come out but it does not cause any malfunctions. When reloading he uses an extra step for the necks of the brass (not familiar with the process). I believe he installed some kind of buffer which helped but did not prevent damaged brass.

I am not familiar with the PTR type rifles but in other rifles like the sks cracked or over excessive

bent casings can be a sign of incorrect head spacing on the bolt, which can ruin the rifle or injure the shooter, It tends to be more common with bolt action rifles but is not unheard of on semi auto's epically refurbishments with mismatched parts.

I have a friend that has the same problem with a PTR 91 rifle, the ejection system is very enthusiastic. He reloads his brass. Some of the dings in the cases do not come out but it does not cause any malfunctions. When reloading he uses an extra step for the necks of the brass (not familiar with the process). I believe he installed some kind of buffer which helped but did not prevent damaged brass.

Yeah, the port buffer. Tames that violent HK action quite a bit. Brass is usually useless after suffering the fate of the delayed roller.

The AK's really are multi directional. The bullet comes out the barrel, and for perps on the sides and behind you, the brass get chucked at them.

I almost feel bad for anyone shooting next to an AK shooter.

We don't mind as long as we can fire a magfull as well. :D

I hope to soon be an AK owner myself. Maks and Tiny made me want one after letting me shoot their bad boys.

I'm an AK dummy... can someone explain what a "door guard" is?

Car door edge molding on the top cover opening so the brass doesn't hit sharp edges. I also made a shock buff from a tire sidewall for a friends AK. Cut down on the harshness. Not sure how this would effect ejection though.