uppercuts

Want to start reloading, need advice.

Want to start getting into reloading my own ammo but need some advice on what I would need to start right up with .223REM, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .357, .40S&W, .380ACP and .45. Could somebody steer me in the right direction as to what press and retailers to buy from. Also, I am a bit confused and what exactly I would need to purchase besides the press kit to start loading immediately. Thanks...

Want to start getting into reloading my own ammo but need some advice on what I would need to start right up with .223REM, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .357, .40S&W, .380ACP and .45. Could somebody steer me in the right direction as to what press and retailers to buy from. Also, I am a bit confused and what exactly I would need to purchase besides the press kit to start loading immediately. Thanks...

Natchez

Midway

Wideners

Cabelas

Vinny from this Board

You can look on youtube to get an idea of what you need.

I went with a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit and that includes almost everything you need.

Make sure you get a reloading manual and read it before you start. I like the Lee Manual. Very informative and easy to read.

Also check out the lee classic turret, its only a couple dollars more and gives you turret capabilities and still allowing you to do a single stage as well. From what I've read and heard with my research its an excellent kit for the money and its built like a tank.

But like already said, find as many books as you can and start reading. Next month I should be making my plunge and buying my equipment so hopefully all of this research pays off.

I have the Dillon 550B. The manual is good and it comes with the excellent Lyman Reloading manual. You can crank out 100 rounds in less than 1/2 hour once you get rolling. Dillon's customer service is excellent. There is a lifetime replacement guarantee on their products. The only negative I have encountered is that their crimp die does not size all the way to the base of the bullet. This is only an issue if you are shooting with match barrels with super tight tolerances.

Start slow. The Dillon is a great machine but not that useful for rifle calibers. Learn the basics and if possible watch someone who already is proficient in that area. I'd start with a single stage press and later move up to the Dillon. the single stage will still be a great asset in your reloading and it won;'t be wasted. Most to the accessories used with the single stage will be used in a progressive in any case. i prefer RCBS but nothing wrong with Lee, Hornady or the others. The dies are universal with the exception of the entry level Dillon.

Get a good book and read it before doing anything. I'd suggest the Lyman, 49th. Edition as that is the most recent.

Start slow. The Dillon is a great machine but not that useful for rifle calibers. Learn the basics and if possible watch someone who already is proficient in that area. I'd start with a single stage press and later move up to the Dillon. the single stage will still be a great asset in your reloading and it won;'t be wasted. Most to the accessories used with the single stage will be used in a progressive in any case. i prefer RCBS but nothing wrong with Lee, Hornady or the others. The dies are universal with the exception of the entry level Dillon.

Get a good book and read it before doing anything. I'd suggest the Lyman, 49th. Edition as that is the most recent.

Thanks rscalzo. I should have mentioned that I reload in handgun calibers (although I am looking forward to 223 to give my wallet a break).

I can't stress enough the importance of reading more than one manual. Some get into specifics for their bullets while others like Lyman give good all around information for lead and jacketed reloading. I personally have 5 manuals and will get more to read. You will find manuals list the same caliber, same powder, same bullet, same primer and OAL will have different start and stop load info for powder charges. It is normal as they test under different conditions and with different firearms.

I started on a Rock Chucker and still use it. I now load pistol and Dillon Square deals, rifle on the Rock Chucker and am planning on getting a Lee Classic Turret for rifle, but will keep the RCBS because there is always a use for a single stage.

If you want a single stage press go for the RCBS Master Relaoding Kit. You can buy them from Midwayusa or Natchez for appx. $289.00

It's a good way to get started. I would also recommend the book The ABC's of Reloading to read too.

+1 on the RCBS Master Reloading kit. It's great to learn on. I load pistol cartridges on it and do batch processing. Even if I go to a progressive press, I'll use it for test loads or rifle cartridges.

I'm leaning towards a Lee Loadmaster for my .223 and 7.62 x 39 reloads. COuld someone give me a website with good deals on brass, powder and primers for these loads?

I've been buying my brass from Kbar. They have good prices on pistol brass, but they also have .223

http://www.kbarcartridge.com/

Cheyenne Brass also has .223, although I haven't ordred from them.

http://www.cheyennebrass.com/once_fired.asp

Kbar ships pretty fast, I would call to make sure they have what you want first.