Sign in to follow this  
tbtrout

6.5 Grendel

Once again I am trying to figure out my next rifle. I have time but I want to be sure. I was leaning towards a 260 Rem, but the Grendel caught my interest. Other than reading about it, I am clueless on the cartridge. Does anyone have any experience? Rifles, shooting it or handloading for the cartridge. Better in a Semi or a bolt?

Thanks

I really want the CZ FS in 6.5 Swede, but the 260 stared me in a different direction and then I read about the 6.5 Grendel and I am so confused so I flipped a coin and it came down on Grendel. Unless of course I get the other at a really good deal.

tim what do you plan to do with this sucker?

I would like to shoot long range, or as long as I can in NJ.

You know, a 22-250 will do that AND you can hunt ground hogs on private land with it.

I shot my Step-dad's 22-250 for years. Hogs 'splode real good with it. Under 200 yards it's almost shameful.

Mark, funny you should say that. on my ride home last night I was talking to a friend and he may be getting a new 22-250 which means I will get the hand me down.

I'll probably get one as well, my step dad isn't doing so well these days. You only need to be sure the barrel isn't shot out which is a concern on any high velocity round. Even then, a new barrel will last another 3-4k rounds assuming you don't super heat it.

I would be hestitate on Alexander arms right now. They are so far behind in production and while they make a great product with the grendel and beowulf I think both cartidges are still proprietary only. Which means Ammo is an absolute bitch to find reasonably. Accessories too, I ordered 2 mags for the wulf 6 months ago, and they showed up the other day! Its ridiculous how backed up they are!! I really was into the grendel as well, but decided on the tried and true .308. Ammo is plentiful. Kinda of the same reason I didn' go with a 6.8. ammo availiblity. good luck

It is a toss up, the Grendel fits in a 223 size AR and the Creedmore a .308.

Since I've committed to buying an AR type gun(a stripped lower anyway), if you do decide on a Grendel, I would be tempted to do the same thing. .223 ARs are very common, a 6.5, not so much.

I can't imagine the recoilt to be bad at all. Depending on the stock and type of recoil spring or hydrolic buffer you use could make a difference. Give me some time and over the weekend and I will send you a few links to what I am looking to build the lower with.

6.5 Grendel does sound very interesting. I believe Wolf also makes ammo in this caliber and it's supposed to be decent to good. Anyone know if 15 round mags are available in this caliber. I believe 6.5 Grendel, like the 6.8 SPC, run best when using mags specifically for them.

Regarding 6.5 Creedmore and 260 Rem, Hornandy has the Creedmore at about 2800fps+ out of a 28" barrel. Myself, I'd be more inclined to go w/ the 260 Rem. Either way, I understand these rounds need longer barrels to really make them sing. Whereas, with a .308, you can get by w/ a 20-22" barrel and still make 1000 yards shooting the 175's.

The Grendel does require specialized magazines that has the two grooves towards the rear of the mag smoothed to accommodate the wider case. I have been looking into building a 24" upper in 6.5 Grendel. It looks like a potent and accurate round.