Sign in to follow this  
bbk

Center Axis Relock system

The CAR system is starting to catch on, and while its a shooting system for all guns, its primary focus is pistols.

http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/car.html for those who aren't sure what I'm talking about.

Does any one have any experience? Any LEOs? I know its a fairly new system being taught to mainly LE/Mil. The cadre did bring it up during M9 familiarization, but never went into the system in-depth.

I want to take a course, but it seems its pretty limited for civilians right now. I've heard of the system, and seen it in action (drills)... and it looks and sounds like an effective CQB system. It is a total change from say a weaver or isosceles stance, but it seems to be just another tool in the tool box. And I figure it might be darn effective since I would want to become familiar with it for home defense.

Because I know some people would rather want a generalization :p ... The CAR system is different because it incorporates a different stance and grip on the gun entirely. The individual is in a blade stance, making themselves a smaller target, but more susceptible to mortal wounds if hit (always taught to take a shot head on if possible then from the sides. A shot to the side of the body is normally not covered with armor [not necessarily a problem civilians face], and the shot would enter and eviscerate multiple organs [which is the real problem]). The stance is also made to be a tighter and stronger (to handle recoil, and if the person gets within grappling distance)... essentially more "natural."

The actual grip I'm not sure of, and the angle of the gun corresponds with the different types of grip (the site I link prior lists them). Regardless, its a point-shoot system, compared to a precision-shoot system... so, the effective range is intimate distance (1 inch) to spitting distance (10 yards)... so, I could imagine it would take a fair amount of practice and/or training.

That is interesting. Ive seen a few training exercises at my department and one of the officers was doing this. I thought it looked strange and was wondering why he was shooting like that. Now I know.

I am not LE but I have been taught CAR by a LE friend of mine. Once you subscribe and understand how it works, you never want to go back to weaver or any other stance. Weapon retention is superior, not depending on both sights, or this eye or that eye allow you to see bad guys coming at you in angles you can't see in other shooting diciplines. The whole idea side exposure to the enemy is moot because he will never make it that far to get that shot off before he's history.

I am not LE but I have been taught CAR by a LE friend of mine. Once you subscribe and understand how it works, you never want to go back to weaver or any other stance. Weapon retention is superior, not depending on both sights, or this eye or that eye allow you to see bad guys coming at you in angles you can't see in other shooting diciplines. The whole idea side exposure to the enemy is moot because he will never make it that far to get that shot off before he's history.

Very nice. What is the correct grip on the pistol? This is the one thing I cannot figure out through the readings and different videos.

The purpose of the CAR system is to survive a close quarters combat situation. There is no dominent eye, no strong side blah blah. Im lefty and once I learned CAR I shoot right handed. There is a distinct advantage to learning this system. If you are interested, I can provide you with the name and number of the man who taught me. He learned directly from Paul Castle and is still friends with him. The training is intense, time consuming, and not cheap. It is definitely not for mall ninjas (no disrespect intended). Be prepared to fire a 1,000 rounds. If you are a person who will benefit from this, let me know and I will hook you up.

The CAR system is starting to catch on, and while its a shooting system for all guns, its primary focus is pistols.

http://www.sabretactical.com/CAR/car.html for those who aren't sure what I'm talking about.

Very interesting!

See - I'm not always an asshole

Very nice. What is the correct grip on the pistol? This is the one thing I cannot figure out through the readings and different videos.

Off hand overlaps the grip hand more than normal, and you essentially touch the tips of your thumbs together. Your palms do not come into contact with each other. Think of folding your hands in front of you, except your off hand fingers are covering your grip hand fingers. It's similar to that. Definitely not a target stance but the gun can be held very close to the body and is a very natural position for the shooter, once trained of course.

I've played with it a few times, it allows for pretty quick double taps with my .45 at close range. But I have NO idea what I'm doing except from watching training videos on the stance.

CAR stance is featured in the latest "Splinter Cell" game.