AtlanticCounty

PA Gun Show question?

Do you guys know rules regarding NJ residents buying long guns and pistols at a PA gun show?

I spoke with someone who told me that NJ residents could purchase and own any weapon that was legal in the state where it is purchased and kept (example: PA)

And if we keep what we purchase in PA can we own whatever is legal in PA as long as we don't bring it into NJ?

Thanks for the help.

You can purchase either long arms or pistols at a PA gun show as a NJ resident, provided you have all the necessary credentials in NJ.

For long guns, a simple PICS check and you'll be on your way. For pistols you'll have to have the gun sent to a NJ FFL dealer for a transfer into your name. You will not be able to take possession of the gun that day.

I'm not entirely sure about owning something that is not NJ legal. But I've seen dealers turn down sales to NJ residents for gun's they know are not legal in NJ. ( AK's with all the features.), and I had to convince one dealer that a Henry .22 Survival rifle was OK to sell to me.

I'm not entirely sure about owning something that is not NJ legal. But I've seen dealers turn down sales to NJ residents for gun's they know are not legal in NJ. ( AK's with all the features.), and I had to convince one dealer that a Henry .22 Survival rifle was OK to sell to me.

Yea thats what I was getting at. I spoke to a lawyer and he said NJ residents are allowed to own whatever is legal in the state of purchase as long as the gun stays in that state. Just wondering if the dealers would sell, guess that might be a problem.

No PA gun dealer at a show in their right mind will sell you a long arm or hand gun that is non compliant to NJ.

You have a NJ license and FID card so there is no proof that you will be keeping it in PA what so ever unless you are

a PA resident they will not sell you a pistol without a FFL transfer. What the lawyer said may be true since you are not

breaking PA state law but no 01FFL holder with half a brain is going to trust what you say.

I spoke to a lawyer and he said NJ residents are allowed to own whatever is legal in the state of purchase as long as the gun stays in that state.

I may be incorrect, but I think your lawyer is wrong. In order for a non-resident to purchase a longarm it must be in compliance with the laws of both states (residence and transactional), which is why a PA dealer will not sell a NJ resident a longarm that is not NJ compliant. Handguns, as stated, must be delivered through an FFL in your state of residence.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No PA gun dealer at a show in their right mind will sell you a long arm or hand gun that is non compliant to NJ.

You have a NJ license and FID card so there is no proof that you will be keeping it in PA what so ever unless you are

a PA resident they will not sell you a pistol without a FFL transfer. What the lawyer said may be true since you are not

breaking PA state law but no 01FFL holder with half a brain is going to trust what you say.

Even if it is NJ legal some dealers will refuse to sell you anything. I've had it happen to me when I went to Valley Forge. Guy was going into his case to pull a 1911 out for me and asked if I was a PA resident. When I told him I was from NJ he immediately locked it back up and told me to get lost.

There are some overly cautious dealers out there and not all the tables and sellers are 01FF's so they cannot private sell out of state no matter what. I hit a lot of the PA shows and have been denied by sellers on NJ legal rifles, not all the vendors need or want to know all our law's instead of taking any chance they would rather keep safe and hold onto their business and I can respect that.

I have bought from the pa shows. As long as you are legal (have a card and all) you can buy long guns (obviously must be NJ legal). Pistols must be sent to and FFL in NJ.

However, most PA vendors are unfamiliar with NJ laws and simply refuse to sell to NJ residents, most of the time citing it's against the law. They are ignorant of the laws in our state and don't want to learn them. So they lose the sale.

I guess Ill just be looking.

Don't misinterpret. You can absolutely buy a long gun in PA, but it has to be NJ compliant and it has to be being sold by an FFL who is willing to sell it to you (most Eastern PA gun dealers are on board with this). I've bought a number of long guns in PA with no problem. What show are you going to? VF is coming up in December. Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What show are you going to?

Thinking about this one:

Split Rock Lodge - Poconos -- November 14-15

At The Galleria at Split Rock Lodge

One Lake Drive

Lake Harmony, PA 18624

http://www.eaglearms.com/

I like the eagle arms shows better than Valley Forge and The collectors one.