n4p226r

14.5", 16", 18", 20" rifle length, mid length. etc.

there is so much information out there, and im not sure what it all means.

lets start with the word "carbine"

from what i've been reading, a carbine (in ar15/m4 terms) usually referrs to a 14.5 inch barrel, but i see a lot of 16" barrels called carbine as well.

was the 16" barrel just a way to get around federal laws and still have a threaded barrel since 14.5 inches youd have to permanently add a compensator?

then i also read about midlength and full length gas systems. i understand the difference

(one is shorter) but what is the difference between the two functionally.

also, there are a lot of abbreviations. like SPR and a few others. what do they mean?

thanks.

bill

from what i've been reading, a carbine (in ar15/m4 terms) usually referrs to a 14.5 inch barrel, but i see a lot of 16" barrels called carbine as well.

was the 16" barrel just a way to get around federal laws and still have a threaded barrel since 14.5 inches youd have to permanently add a compensator?

YES. Bingo. You'd be hard pressed to find carbines in NJ with a 14.5" barrel with pinned compensator though. It's walking a fine legal line.

then i also read about midlength and full length gas systems. i understand the difference

also, there are a lot of abbreviations. like SPR and a few others. what do they mean?

thanks.

bill

SPR ---> Should be SBR. Short-Barreled Rifle. Typically with a 10" barrel. These are legal in more progressive firearms statement as long as you have the proper tax stamps from the government.

thanks.

bill

Carbine doesn't have to be 14.5" It depends on where the gas block is. For instance, when you buy "carbine" length hand-guards/rail systems, they are 7.5" To me, carbine means the whole package, shorter barrel, adjustable buttstock.

I really wouldn't worry about getting a 14.5" barrel with pinned muzzle brake totaling 16" or greater. As long as the brake is NJ compliant and you have it pinned and welded, you're within NJ limits and federal limits. And remember, if you do pin and weld a compensator and decide to swap it out later, you can. Take it to a gunsmith or do it yourself if you have the proper tools.

Don't bother applying for SBR status on any firearm in NJ. There is no such thing, as well as automatics and silencers.

Also, there is no difference in functionality between mid length or rifle length direct impingement or gas piston systems.

Hi Bill,

The gas system determines how the gas impingement system is set up. The full length gas systems (think Viet Nam era M16) have the gas port further away from the chamber. The carbine length system (M4 in current military use) has the gas port closer to the chamber. It is my understanding that the full length gas system generates lower pressures on the bolt carrier group and is easier, wear-and-tear wise, than the carbine length. The mid-length gas system is, as you can probably guess, a compromise between the two. My suggestion is to get the longest gas system the rifle will allow for your intended purposes. If you are buying a paper-puncher, go with full length. If you are buying a SHTF rifle for close quarters, the carbine might be your only choice. Don't let a gas system stop you from getting the rifle you want. There are enough people using the carbine length system without a problem that you shouldn't give it that much thought.

SBR does indeed mean short barrel rifle. However, SPR, as the OP asked about, is a Special Purpose Rifle. Two VERY different things. A lot of the of the "designated marksman" style ARs you see are based on the SPR concept.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=145

Basically this:

Mk12_Mod0_Profile.jpg

thanks for all the replies guys and yes i did already know sbr was short barreled rifle. now i know what spr is. sass is another one (similar to the spr it seems)

and i already have a good idea of what i want in an AR

pretty much a nj legal version of this

i heard that. if its true it would be nice. i also found an N6 receiver that i was thinking of getting but by the time i looked into it it sold. i dont know enough about the differences between the 3 different .308 ar platforms to decide on that stuff yet.

Noveske N4 - great choice. At least one guy on the forums has one. Noveske can supposedly do all the compliance work in house, which should simplify the process greatly

i've emailed them and they confirmed. they use a vltor rifle length a1 modstock (non collapsable) and pin an fsc compensator.