Sign in to follow this  
NJ609

Holsters?

Do you guys have holsters for all your pistols?

I don't and I'm thinking, well wth is the point then? If I *do* have to or magically *can* carry (not in NJ.... lol) then I have no real means to do so with most of my firearms....

Also thinking storage would be better with holsters protecting them?

Storage in a holster is not the best idea. It can affect the finish after a period of time and some leathers have oils that can also damage the finish. The only handgun I store in a holster is the one I carry and that's shot and cleaned enough that the storage isn't an issue. I don't use the cheap synthetic ones so it is an issue I consider.

Somewhat related is the fact that a major portion of accidental discharges are when the shooter is removing or replacing a firearm into a holster.

Storage in a holster is not the best idea. It can affect the finish after a period of time and some leathers have oils that can also damage the finish. The only handgun I store in a holster is the one I carry and that's shot and cleaned enough that the storage isn't an issue. I don't use the cheap synthetic ones so it is an issue I consider.

Somewhat related is the fact that a major portion of accidental discharges are when the shooter is removing or replacing a firearm into a holster.

Definitely food for thought. Perhaps I should add the question "what is proper storage" then? Doesn't seem like they should be in the travel pouches zipped up all the time.... I don't have a humidity problem or anything but something about that just doesn't sit well with me.

Back in the day, we used to keep our revolvers in their leather holsters. The thing was, they were all "cowboy style" holsters with leg tie downs. They'd lay on the truck seat like that as we'd bounce down the road so it kept them from getting beat up. That was Ohio.

Today, mine are either in the plastic case or easily accessible. I thought about getting a junky holster and affixing it to the side of my dresser and keeping my pistol in there but just on top of the dresser works as well.

I'm thinking of getting an ankle holster for my Smith J frame.

Have a holster for my glock, use it for IDPA and occasionally for carrying in my home. I also store it in the safe in the holster. I figure if I have to grab it in a rush it's worth the extra second to push the the holster off with my thumb to negate the chance of grabbing it the wrong way and inadvertantly pulling the trigger.