Springfield1911

Purchasing handgun inventory question.

I put it for my permits 3 weeks ago and of course I am still waiting which I don't really mind. The only problem I'm seeing is that when I go to a gun shop looking for a gun that I want they are very low in stock or there is a wait on it. Especially anything 1911 which is one of the guns I want. Is it legal for a gunshop to "hold" a gun for me. Let's say I pay for it first and then when the permits come in then I can go and pick it up. I didnt bother asking because the place I went to seemed to say there was a long wait on Kimber and Taurus 1911's and he didnt know when he would get anymore in. He assumed a 6 month to 1 year wait. Its just ridiculous that NJ only gives you a permit for 90 days when you literally might run out of time waiting for the gun you want. Even with the extension it might cut it close.

Shore Shot in Lakewood, minutes off of Exit 89 of the Garden State Parkway. I know it is a hike but might be worth the trip. Of course, I would call and see if they have what you are looking for before coming down.

Meltzers in Garfield (Bergen County) will put it in a safe for you.

Most places in NJ know the game and have no problem putting the gun in a safe. I buy guns at Davis sportshop just over the border in NY, (he has a ton of kimbers, and great prices) have it shipped to thunder mountain, and he will hold it for you until your papers come in.

This is not a problem.

Frank at the Silver Bullet will also hold firearms for you with a deposit. Just keep him in the loop if you are waiting for permits longer than anticipated. I had a pistol on hold for about a month with him expecting the permit to come in the next week.

If you purchased from him before, he may even hold them without a deposit like he did with a Mossberg 500A.

I bought my first pistol from Meltzer's. They held it for me while I was still looking around. Pricey but top notch stuff.