Ray Ray

Question for Jeep owners

I've got a 97 Jeep Grand Cherekee. Not my first jeep put my first Cherekee. When you take it out of 4 wheel drive, do you have to go backwards or something? I didn't have to do it with my Wranglers but this one is hard to get OUT of 4 wheel drive, not in. I figured Matt would chime in here eventually since he has the same jeep as me, but if anyone knows the steps please fill me in.

Do you know which t-case is in that? May need to back up or put it in neutral and let it roll to disengage.

I assume it's a lever engagement operation. My SJ was engaged with a vacuum solenoid and sometimes they solenoids don't work properly.

It's a brand new transfer case, but I don't know which one.

There is no need to drive backwards on Jeep vehicles. Do you have different size tires in the front vs. the rear? The circumference of the tires has to be matched otherwise it keeps a load on the front axle coupler and doesn't disengage, a big discrepancy in tire pressure will also cause the same issue. Tire of the same size but of different brands also differ in circumference.

Good Luck

Okay, so put it in neutral, then 4 wheel drive. Then to disingauge, put in nuetral, then 2 wheel drive.

Why do this, this defeats the shift-on-the-fly-transfer-case which the vehicle is equipped with. Diagnose and fix the problem rather than working around it.

Okay, so put it in neutral, then 4 wheel drive. Then to disingauge, put in nuetral, then 2 wheel drive.

Why do this, this defeats the shift-on-the-fly-transfer-case which the vehicle is equipped with. Diagnose and fix the problem rather than working around it.

Tom, that is only true for 4hi. If you try to shift on the fly in 4lo you can kiss your t-case good bye :)

M

Tom, that is only true for 4hi. If you try to shift on the fly in 4lo you can kiss your t-case good bye :)

M

Yeah - that was the case with mine. 2hi to 4hi was shift on the fly. 4 hi to 4 low was a stop/slow roll to do it.

4 wd low range is a given must come to a stop but for Command Trac 2hi to 4hi is shift-on-the-fly same applies to Select Trac shifting from 2hi to 4hi part time or full time is done on-the-fly. same applies going from 4wd back to 2wd

Can't speak on a Grand Cherokee, but in my Cherokee Sport, it's basically what everyone has been saying. To go from 2H to 4H I just pull the lever into position. I've only done it from a stop, so not sure if it will engage if the car is moving like in some SUVs (my old pathfinder would go into 4H at up to 25mph). Going into 4L is a different thing entirely. I actually took it back to the dealer when i first bought the Jeep cuz I thought it was broken :D On my XJ (and I don't know if this applies to all of them), I have to put the car in neutral, turn the car OFF, and then put it in 4L. There may be other ways to get it into 4L (as have been mentioned here), but that's the easiest way for my Jeep.