BCeagle

Finally joining Cherry Ridge today

I'm ready, dying to try and shoot some clays. I actually brought clays, and shotguns Sunday but my uncle was not too well prepared for the weather and forgot gloves or layers. :shock:

CR must be great on a sunny spring day.

Yeah, it is. We had some good "official" events in 09 and I'm sure we'll have some more in 10. We also have had some pretty good luck getting folks together for some quick informal clay shooting. It usually starts out as "thinking about shooting tomorrow" and turns into a number of "I'm in!", so be sure to post if you want some company. It'll be a bit sparse till it gets up over 30 degrees but it shouldn't be too long.

I was shocked how many guys were in on the thread when I came back on yesterday.

Quite a few of us are members of CR, so we're always happy to hear about new members :) It was this forum (and a couple very helpful members) that got me off my butt to go up there and check it out, and I'm very glad I did. I went up one time for one of the clay shoots and joined 2-3 weeks later :D

I was out yesterday with another forum member and we went shooting at Collier's Mills WMA in Jackson. We only ran into two other people who were dumb enough to be out there in the wind and cold. I forgot how much more fun it is to shoot outdoors. I got to work out my AR-22 and my Mossberg 500. I did learn a painful lesson too. The Mossberg is my home defense gun and I had it in pistol grip configuration, but had never fired it that way. I wanted to have some idea of how it felt to shoot that way. I was having problems hitting anything with a slug shooting from the hip. I lined up the gun high to shoot a slug and the recoil ended up having me punch myself in the face and now I have a fat lip. I learned that shotgun slugs and pistol grips are a bad combination. :)

Besides that, shooting rimfires out there was awesome. My Spike's tactical AR-22 was as accurate as I hoped, and shooting a rifle in 22Mag was really fun. I am psyched to get my CZ 452 in 17HM2 in a few days.

I learned that shotgun slugs and pistol grips are a bad combination. :).

I'm not a fan of pistol grips on shotguns. I really don't see the need for it unless you're concealing it or something.

It was certainly cold yesterday. The gusty wind really sealed the deal.

I learned that shotgun slugs and pistol grips are a bad combination. :).

I'm not a fan of pistol grips on shotguns. I really don't see the need for it unless you're concealing it or something.

It was certainly cold yesterday. The gusty wind really sealed the deal.

Well, I'm less of a fan now.

Actually, the grip came with the Mossberg 500 Home Defense combo. The package has a 28" Vented Rib barrel and an 18" one. I thought the pistol grip and short barrel would make it easier to handle indoors. I also think that the recoil is manageable because you simply swing your arms back with recoil, as opposed to bearing the brunt with your shoulder. I certainly won't be bringing it back to any indoor or outdoor ranges unless I have the shoulder stock on it. I'm not that good-looking to begin with, so I can't afford to be punching myself in the face too often.

What model 700 you buying??

I have been handling every 700 and comp rifle for the last few weeks, taking into account price, accuracy, use (hunting/target) I am goimg with the 700 sps tactical, shorter barrel cuts some weight, many of the varmint guns were a but heavy for carrying around all day for hunting. Everyone also seems to have an opinion, hunters were anti bull barrell, a few only wanted stainless barrels, a few loved the browning but at $950ish it really pricey once you add the glass. _Picking it up Thursday hopefully.

Thanks for the advice, i will keep it in mind. I was originnally buying the varmint with the longer barrel but no one local has it in stock and omce you price in the ffl fees it is actually more expensive then the tac even though the tac has a better stock. I assume its a lot more noticeble then.