bbk

Red Dawn remake!

What he said ^^^. I/ve always felt that our military and lifestyle are waaay too dependant on tech. A couple of well placed EMPs on the ground and a few pokes at our eyes in the skys and we're seriously crippled.I really hope that the so called braintrust has a strong plan B, kinda like good ole iron sights cause those massed ground troops are gonna get a whole lot more important real fast.I actually recently tried to have this conversation with my son and a few of his Marine buds. My points were pretty much everything the previous two posts implied. They wanted nothing to do with that topic and expectadly didnt even care.

If any of your are gamers, check out Homefront. It's a Call of Duty type game but the campaingn storyline deals with a merging of North and South Korea and an attack on American. We are now under the control of the Greater Korea Republic in the year 2027. One of the writers of Red Dawn and Apocalypse now worked on the storyline.

EDIT: Here's a link: http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/2011/03/homefront_imagines_occupied_montrose.php

If any of your are gamers, check out Homefront. It's a Call of Duty type game but the campaingn storyline deals with a merging of North and South Korea and an attack on American. We are now under the control of the Greater Korea Republic in the year 2027. One of the writers of Red Dawn and Apocalypse now worked on the storyline.

EDIT: Here's a link: http://blogs.westwor...ed_montrose.php

John Milius in specific worked on Homefront.

I had the chance to play Homefront in advance at PAX East, and was not impressed at all. Stupidly I picked it up anyway for PC, and I'm doubly not impressed, and instead am thinking of ways to creatively use those $50 I had spent on it (like saving it for when I go to a range in PA and attach some tannerite to it or something along those lines).

Still, I really, really, really liked the idea and premise behind Homefront... just a terrible game that I do not recommend anybody to waste their money on (if you get it for free or try it for free, go for it, and join me in my laughter). Funny enough, THQ (the distributor) had their stocks fall tremendously at the same time of the release of Homefront... correlation? Maybe :icon_rolleyes:

As for our military and moving forward... a lot has changed, and its not so much the Army of old. Old Donny's remarks of how we go to war with the military we have and not the one we want went a really, really long way-- and pretty much sums up the changes the military has seen (even when I was still in a few years back now). There were the reductions/consolidations in types of jobs and facilities that are still ongoing-- but from that, new command and jobs have emerged, that deal specifically with the future issues. The "Cyber" command and asymmetrical warfare groups are examples of this, as well as the changes in how troops are trained at the ground level, and through their careers (like how Basic has changed, and even the PT tests now-- at least for the Army).

Is it still dependent on technology? Yea, of course. I would go as far as to say that military tech though is a bit more 'protected' then the civilian stuff-- even if some military tech is piggy-backing on civilian/private sector tech. That doesn't mean much if the critical infrastructure of the civilian population were crippled though, as there would be mass hysteria and really bad sh-t going on regardless (and as we've seen for the past decade, military forces aren't meant to be in policing roles).

With the oversaturation of first person shooters in the gaming market, Homefront doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Essentially it feels like Modern Warfare (the first one to note) re-skinned, with a shorter campaign, and less compelling multiplayer. But more specifically, I did like the environments in which Homefront took place, but visually it was not too appealing. Take for example, at PAX, there was the

playable demo area-- and no more then 200 feet away was the
booth (different links there). If Homefront came out at the same time as Modern Warfare, I would say that it would be ground breaking/genre defining, but its a handful of years late to the party.

And even for those who aren't picky about the graphics, the campaign is waaay to linear, doesn't make much sense, and is far too short. If THQ was asking for $40, I would say sure, ok, that's fine. But, for you console gamers, $60 is way to steep (and even $50 for us PC gamers).

What did I like? I liked the environment as noted. I liked the premise, though the story was kind of lost in the micro-view, and while there were tense moments that reminded you why you were doing what you were doing, I felt myself trying to keep up with how what I was doing affected the bigger picture. If the campaign was maybe 2-3+ more hours, or if it took a radically different approach and was more like Fallout 3, it would be better (and in the case of the latter, possibly amazing). I also did like the frantic pace (when it did occur), but I felt like this wasn't too often as I still felt overpowered considering I, my character, was a part of a resistance movement against an embedded, large, army.