Sign in to follow this  
Celraysoda

Turkey Hunting

Anybody here Turkey hunt? I am kinda interested but know nothing in this subject.

-Thanks.

I am new to this as well. I will go out with my son on the "Youth Turkey day". I'll have to go to the location and scout around for likely areas where Turkey's feed, mate, etc. I would love to "get one", but I am looking forward to simply spending some time with my son more than anything... he's mainly excited to be able to walk around NJ with a shotgun!

There are quite a few good sites that give some good tips. Remember it is illegal to "stalk" a Turkey and unsportsmanlike to shoot one that is roosting. However, go onto the Wildlife management site for rules, regs, etc.

Anybody here Turkey hunt? I am kinda interested but know nothing in this subject.

-Thanks.

Hunting turkey was a blast in the spring time. I hunted for several years in the early 90's in the vernon and Waywayanda state park area. They used to do a lottery for the turkey permits. You have to use a call and call the males in. It's easy to use a box call and they work great. No shooting hens. I don't know if the laws or permit process has changed since then. It's good to scout an area before hunting for them. Look for scratchings.

A friend and I called in a small flock of birds and we both shot one. That had to be one of the best days of turkey hunting we had. It's awesome to call in a bird close enough for a shot. Turkey are very wary and spook extremely easy. Once they spook, they won't come back.

I have been Turkey hunting for the past 2 years. Havent seen one damn Turkey. The key to Turkey hunting is you have to scout out for them. This can take days and this still doesnt guarantee you Turkey. To scout out for them you have to use an owl call the night before and see if you can call them out in the trees. Once you find an area where you know they are you plan to setup near a tree in that general area the next day. You can only hunt them until 12pm. Just in time for lunch. NJ uses a lottery system for the permits. You have to apply for the zone you want to hunt in and you also have to pick the week. I have never seen them run out of permits though. I think they just dont want all the hunters to hunt opening day at the same time. Very dangerous. Yes, no hunter orange. From the experience from a few guys that I know that hunt and have successfully hunted many Turkey you do NOT need a camo gun. It helps but you don't NEED it. You do need to stay VERY still and that is tough to do especially when you are ready to take a shot and get your gun up. I think you can use a monopole which is what I need to get. I could talk all day about TUrkey and Deer.

Check the website below.lots of good information.

i tried a couple days last spring.

Setup early morning , heard a couple turkeys but could not call them in close enough for a shot.

It is fun, but could be dangerous if you have other hunters in the area that are not aware you are there.

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/hunting_tactics.html

tony

-Thanks.

Celray, I am going this year, and I live in Hackensack.

PM me so we can link up.

I hunt turkeys in ringwood and out west at my hunt lease...

Check the website below.lots of good information.

i tried a couple days last spring.

Setup early morning , heard a couple turkeys but could not call them in close enough for a shot.

It is fun, but could be dangerous if you have other hunters in the area that are not aware you are there.

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/hunting_tactics.html

tony

Suggested to wear "orange" hat on your way out and to tie a hunter orange band or bow around the tree you are under. Rather be safe and alive than hidden and dead.

BTW, what is the best time to get to a spot? Do you simply walk to a spot you marked out the week before?

Also, I can hunt in any of the "black lined" areas? http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/wmamaps/mad_horse_crk_no.pdf