Celraysoda

Split cases from Mosin m44 - Pics added

I agree, change ammo and get it headspace checked. If you are anywhere near northwest jersey give me a shout, and I'll do it for ya. Out of the dozens of mosin's that have passed through my hands I've never seen one fail a field gauge though.

Heavy or light ball?

Split cases can mean a number of things sometimes it can be normal for steel cases since they can

be very brittle. One issue could be the head spacing on the bolt which can be fixed easily by a qualified smith

or even a guy who has a guag and knows how to.

I have an SKS that will do it to brass every time but not to steel it's a nice shooter and was NIB when I purchased it.

defiantly has not seen it's time and the head space is right on.

I agree, change ammo and get it headspace checked. If you are anywhere near northwest jersey give me a shout, and I'll do it for ya. Out of the dozens of mosin's that have passed through my hands I've never seen one fail a field gauge though.

Ahh you beat me to it!

By the way is the bolt matching to the rifle from the factory or EP'd?

Heavy or light ball?

Split cases can mean a number of things sometimes it can be normal for steel cases since they can

be very brittle. One issue could be the head spacing on the bolt which can be fixed easily by a qualified smith

or even a guy who has a guag and knows how to.

I have an SKS that will do it to brass every time but not to steel it's a nice shooter and was NIB when I purchased it.

defiantly has not seen it's time and the head space is right on.

I will have to research the ammo, it is all in Russian. I can ask my future Mother-in-law to see if she can find a brand.

Yes, it is brass cases and about 2-3 our of 5 shots were split. When I was using Brown Bear steel cases, there were no issues.

totally off topic but i wanted to pick up an m44, hows it shoot? and how much is one gonna run me?

With or without the Bayonet extended? :D

Price will be from $75 to $150 depending on where or who. You can get them for even less if you get them at an auction or someone wants to dump it.

$75 to $150

You find some M-44's for $75.00 then let me know I will buy the whole lot.

I have not seen them at $75.00 in the last 3 years, they are drying up just like the m38's did

and at the last 4 shows have been from $125.00 to $225.00 depending on condition. The cheapest 91/30's

out there these day's are $79.00 and there are way more of them then any other variant.

Ive never seen splits like that. Headspace issues are usually seen around the rim of the case rather then the side. The ammo you have looks like Yugo 1967 copper washed steel rather then brass. I have Yugoslavian ammo from 1981 that is brass. Put a magnet on it to know for sure.

I would guess the splitting is coming from the rigid steel cases not being able to expand.

they are actually quite frequently at the shop in town for 75-100, next time I come home I'll give ya a shout if I see any.

What store is this? I will be in that area next Sunday.

Ill take the ride also, my local shop had one for $400 :o

Looks like copper wash to me whats the head stamp ?

I say its the ammo if it was head space ,, the rim would split and if it was a worn chamber buy the looks of that split the case would be stuck in there .

I would like to take a micrometer to a couple of the unfired cases I'm just wondering if there under size but thats just a thought.

check ammo here

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID.htm

age cracks from surface tension of case around bullet - try some different ammo - definitely not a headspace problem - if you continue to use that ammo it will erode your rifles chamber -

they are actually quite frequently at the shop in town for 75-100, next time I come home I'll give ya a shout if I see any.

Yes please let me know, I would easily buy a few at $75.00-$100.00 each.

Even Sarco couldn't come close to that a few weeks ago, the cheapest one they had was $150.00 and the bore l=

looked a mess, lot's of pitting and rust.

Left shell bad ammo see crack at neck 2 and 3 PSL with bad head space the gun shot fine with LB but with copper wash HB not fun.

Psl's are rated for light ball only, which could have easily been the issue with the heavy ball, the action is

giving and taking a beaten with the HB.

Psl's are rated for light ball only, which could have easily been the issue with the heavy ball, the action is

giving and taking a beaten with the HB.

Ya I found out the hard way LB only ,,, I think I posted that a month ago !!!

I ordered the gauges anyway and it took the no go so I re set the head space.

The funny thing is I ran 300 + rounds through her before I got the gauges. And I added a buffer because I had that waffle red mark on my shoulder and it helps .

I ran about 200 after re setting it