Dozer

Sick puppy laws

My niece(18) purchased a puppy from the state of Ohio and had it shipped to our state of New Jersey.One day after receiving the puppy at the pup was very sick.She took puppy to local vet for check up.They stated the the puppy had an upper resporatory infection and recommended an overnight stay. Day 2 went to see puppy at local vet. and was told the pup had some kind of seizure during the night.Vet suggested taking pup to the University of Penn vet facility in PA,very well respected.After an overnight stay there they suggested to put the pup down do to its level of sickness. Now niece who lost her mother(my sister) a year ago is without a dog,more trama and serious vet fees. The breeder says it will replace puppy only no refund and nothing for for medical.Worst part they stated no puppys will be available till spring breeding.

The was a miniature English bulldog which was expensive and the vet bills even more.

What recourse if any does she have for recovering funds for the puppy and medical expenses

Was there any signed contracts or purchase agreements?

There is a pet protection law in NJ and you have 14 days from purchase. I'm not sure how it works for out of state animals. If thevet declares that the pet was unfit for purchase, you can get a replacement, a refund or keep the pet and get re-imbursed for expenses but I think it's limited to something like double the initial outlay of the pet.

My sister in law got a "defective" puppy a few years ago. Broke my Nieces heart but she got a replacement under the law.

3 things on this.

1 Sorry about the situation.

2. This is what happens when puppies are shipped via plane or land Currier in sub freezing conditions.

Most land with infection either respiratory , bladder or kidney., the animals don't fly 1st class, if they are

sent via trucking company they are loaded into a trailor like all other packages or goods.

3. Bull dog's were not meant to be bread as miniatures, along with most other dogs.

Expect to have nasal and respiratory issues as they come standard with regular English bulls.

My advise to her is next time go to the local shelter or look on line for rescue does, they come in

every breed, pure or mixed, it will cost you a lot less over all and she would be saving a life. The

Private Breeder only has to guarantee the dog for 1 year in most contracts, with a full replacement of another dog.

Since she purchased the dog out of state I do not see any NJ law's covering this. I suggest she take a drive and

pick up the dog when the next litter is ready so it can walk and urinate normally during the trip home. I have had

many dog's some were pure breeds bread from show winning parents and others were mutts from the shelter, I can

tell you the pure breeds are more costly, more injury prone and there are very FEW breeders in this country that

actually know what they are doing, I donot care of they are AKC certified or not.

Good Luck

Sorry to hear that.Bulldogs tend to have more respiratory problems then other dogs. That being said, It is really sad and messed up. If I were you I would get a lawyer. Bulldogs are very expensive yet wonderful dogs. A friend of mine had a similar situation with a dog she received from out of state. They offered her no refund or replacement dog. She went everywhere on the net and blasted the site and the owners. She told newspapers and eventually the sellers contacted her to give her a full refund and the choice of another dog for free. So don't give up, good luck.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that.Bulldogs tend to have more respiratory problems then other dogs. That being said, It is really sad and messed up. If I were you I would get a lawyer. Bulldogs are very expensive yet wonderful dogs. A friend of mine had a similar situation with a dog she received from out of state. They offered her no refund or replacement dog. She went everywhere on the net and blasted the site and the owners. She told newspapers and eventually the sellers contacted her to give her a full refund and the choice of another dog for free. So don't give up, good luck.

They only offered a replacement pup but not till spring,nothing for medical or refund.What your friend received as compenstation should be how this is handled IMO,especially with no replacement readily available.

She did realise the health issues of the breed prior to purchasing.The vet did claim that the infection started prior to her receiving the pup and would provide documentation,also there were other problems discovered at the university,waiting on test results.

This can happen even with face to face purchases,we can debate that all day,this doesn't help the problem at hand.Saw the puppy when it arrived it appeared healthy and normal,although I am not an expert.

Had purchased an American bulldog from out of state and had flown in no problems years ago.Believe airlines have taken steps from the past per the conditions of cargo holds concerning live animals.

:shock: :shock:

3 things on this.

2. This is what happens when puppies are shipped via plane or land Currier in sub freezing conditions.

Most land with infection either respiratory , bladder or kidney., the animals don't fly 1st class, if they are

sent via trucking company they are loaded into a trailor like all other packages or goods.

3. Bull dog's were not meant to be bread as miniatures, along with most other dogs.

Expect to have nasal and respiratory issues as they come standard with regular English bulls.

My advise to her is next time go to the local shelter or look on line for rescue does, they come in

every breed, pure or mixed, it will cost you a lot less over all and she would be saving a life. The

Private Breeder only has to guarantee the dog for 1 year in most contracts, with a full replacement of another dog.

Since she purchased the dog out of state I do not see any NJ law's covering this. I suggest she take a drive and

pick up the dog when the next litter is ready so it can walk and urinate normally during the trip home. I have had

many dog's some were pure breeds bread from show winning parents and others were mutts from the shelter, I can

tell you the pure breeds are more costly, more injury prone and there are very FEW breeders in this country that

actually know what they are doing, I donot care of they are AKC certified or not.

Good Luck

:shock: :shock:

3 things on this.

Good Luck

Where do I order a box of those?

I bought a pup who died of the same thing years ago. After that I did some research and bought off of thefolks listed below. 7 years later and he is still going strong. He's also the best Boston out of the four I have owned. I still keep in contact with the breeder of my Boston. Here is the link to my dogs breeder

http://www.sturbridgedogs.com/

My Mother breeds Shitzu puppies. She "orders" puppies from Czechoslovakia and almost always, they have some sort of infection.

Anything from Czechoslovakia is bound to have some kind of infection.

LOL....jk :lol:

this is the breeder i have retrieved my last 2 gsp's from. they are in pensy but you could read through their guarantees to get an idea, i drove out to pick mine up.. this litter is the same sire that fathered my last gsp, ( colt ). we always make vet appointments before purchase to have the pooch checked over the following day after returning home.

http://www.warriorsmark.com/gs_pups2.htm

direct link to sales agreement.

http://www.warriorsmark.com/kennelguarantee.htm