Sign in to follow this  
Zell959

Worth timing the end of hunting season for used shotgun?

Does the end of hunting season have any effect on the supply and/or average price of used shotguns, or are those who sell their shotguns too few in number to generate a noticable effect? I'm looking to buy a used shotgun at some point, but I'm in no hurry and was just wondering if their was a particular time of year worth targeting for my future purchase.

Does the end of hunting season have any effect on the supply and/or average price of used shotguns, or are those who sell their shotguns too few in number to generate a noticable effect? I'm looking to buy a used shotgun at some point, but I'm in no hurry and was just wondering if their was a particular time of year worth targeting for my future purchase.

I prefer to troll gunbroker for deals in NJ. I picked up a Mossberg 500 in October for $75... She's not pretty, but she hits well. Set your price limit and just wait it out, you will eventually find what you want.

Some guys troll on NJhunter with good luck as well.

I blast animals with my 11-87 super mag. Fun stuff to throw a few 3in Mag Slugs at a deer...or some t shot for a turkey, or some 00 buck...its all good! LOL!!

I would suggest going to the bullet hole, and if you are looking at the counter, look left on the floor...lots of used scatter guns...

I dont think prices go down with hunting season for the following reasons:

I have seen barely any hunters in the woods other than me and my crew.

Most hunters hunt all their lives.

Deer counts are down this year, and a bear hunt is coming up next year.

We will want some some big 12 pellet buck for that hunt.

Zell,

In answer to the question, I would think just the opposite of what you're thinking. If I was going to buy myself a new gun I'd do it at the BEGINNING of the season, not the end. So I think I'd also sell my old one at around the same time. Of course maybe I'd want to hang on to it for awhile until I decide whether or not I like the new one, so maybe you're right about the end of the season.

For a shotgun, I'd also think they would be langushing around the gunshops during the summer, so maybe a good deal could be had, but most of the store "sales" are just before the fall seasons, (and again after Christmas).

From an individual though, a WTB ad might be the ticket. I've seen a few of them that were specific enough that they tempted me to drag a gun out of the closet and consider selling it. (Only tempted me though - never actually sold one)!

It seems time is on your side, so spend it looking around for exactly what you want and about what they cost, take a look at completed autions on Gunbroker to get an idea about the used market, then post up what you're looking for. I'm sure there are several folks right here that have exactly what you need at a decent price and you don't have to deal with shipping and transfer fees.

Good luck with it!