DevsAdvocate

What are my stock options...? *PICS*

Below are a few pictures of my current stock on my Stag Model 1. It looks like a faux collapsible stock because the tube is waaaay longer than it needs to be to be adjustable. Not to mention, it doesn't have the holes for adjusting the stock either.

So... what are my stock choices? What is the easiest stock upgrade I can make?

I was thinking of either going light and going ACE Skeleton stock

-OR-

Going all out and getting a VLTOR E-Mod stock.

Questions:

If I get the ACE Skeleton stock... would I need to order a new buffer tube? How long?

If I get the VLTOR, can I simply slide it onto the existing tube, drill a new hole to the proper length, and pin it as is?

The ACE stocks are really solid.. i had an ACE "entry" stock on my AR and it came with the tube.. If your rifle is rifle length you will need a carbine length spring and buffer... if its carbine length then i think you are ok.. as far as the standard length one goes it uses a standard length buffer tube (which i think its safe to assume that is not)...

ACE Entry Stock

Stock uses CAR length buffer and spring (not included). Includes an extension tube,

Standard ACE Stock

Stock is a direct bolt on and includes a 1/2" thick rubber recoil pad and uses a standard A1/A2 receiver extension tube, buffer and spring (not included).

I don't know if the Stags come with a commercial or mil-spec tube, but this is something you should find out before ordering anything. The emod, for example, comes in a version designed for mil-spec tubes and another for commercial tubes.

CTR_Stock_Specs.jpg

I don't know if the Stags come with a commercial or mil-spec tube, but this is something you should find out before ordering anything. The emod, for example, comes in a version designed for mil-spec tubes and another for commercial tubes.

CTR_Stock_Specs.jpg

From the looks of things, I have the flat-backed one (MIL-SPEC), but it's a lot longer than a carbine buffer tube, and only has one hole in it for stock position.

Yeah, umm, I have no idea what kinda tube that is. Must be some nonsense they put together for ban states. I didn't catch how long that thing was in your first pic. Emod uses a standard length carbine buffer if I remember correctly. I would ditch the one the one you have and get one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec- ... ention.htm

Yeah, umm, I have no idea what kinda tube that is. Must be some nonsense they put together for ban states. I didn't catch how long that thing was in your first pic. Emod uses a standard length carbine buffer if I remember correctly. I would ditch the one the one you have and get one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec- ... ention.htm

How long is a standard buffer tube? I can measure mine and see... it may save me on buying a new spring + weight.

Based on the diagram I posted a couple posts up, mil-spec is 7.25" and commercial seems to be about 1/2 inch longer or so. I can't find the exact length of a commercial tube.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RYwUPr35rLw/S ... specRE.jpg

The commericial tube is on the top, and mil-spec on the bottom. Keep in mind, this is all for carbine length tubes. The bigger issue is the diameter of the tube tho

Based on the diagram I posted a couple posts up, mil-spec is 7.25" and commercial seems to be about 1/2 inch longer or so. I can't find the exact length of a commercial tube.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RYwUPr35rLw/S ... specRE.jpg

The commericial tube is on the top, and mil-spec on the bottom. Keep in mind, this is all for carbine length tubes. The bigger issue is the diameter of the tube tho

Oh, I was asking for the length of an A2 buffer tube. Not carbine.

yes ACE you need a new buffer tube..

my bet is yours is extra long due to ban state.. my S&W m&P15 was like that.. it was goofy long.. you can obviously use that buffer tube providing it fits.. but buffer tubes are pretty cheap.. if you change the buffer tube you might want to verify that you do in fact have a carbine buffer.. judging from that stock id think you do.. but i do not know for SURE... are you trying to get a shorter stock or do you just want to change the design?

yes ACE you need a new buffer tube..

my bet is yours is extra long due to ban state.. my S&W m&P15 was like that.. it was goofy long.. you can obviously use that buffer tube providing it fits.. but buffer tubes are pretty cheap.. if you change the buffer tube you might want to verify that you do in fact have a carbine buffer.. judging from that stock id think you do.. but i do not know for SURE... are you trying to get a shorter stock or do you just want to change the design?

Change the design. I figure I can just put the VLTOR Emod stock onto it, remove the current stock, and bolt it in. It seems like the stock I have is a standard collapsible, that has the spring pin removed and replace with a regular one.

If its a Stag its a longer then standard buffer tube, however they are mil-spec diameter. I asked Stag about this when looking to change stocks and this is the exact email I received:

Jason,

Our post-ban rifles utilize a mil-spec diameter buffer tube, but it is longer than the standard buffer tube and there is only one hole for the buttstock to attach to.

David

Stag Arms

860-229-9994

If its a Stag its a longer then standard buffer tube, however they are mil-spec diameter. I asked Stag about this when looking to change stocks and this is the exact email I received:

Jason,

Our post-ban rifles utilize a mil-spec diameter buffer tube, but it is longer than the standard buffer tube and there is only one hole for the buttstock to attach to.

David

Stag Arms

860-229-9994

Wow, thanks for the info!

So does this mean I can slip a VLTOR Emod onto the existing buffer tube and simply bolt it into the one hole?

Jason,

David

Stag Arms

860-229-9994

Wow, thanks for the info!

So does this mean I can slip a VLTOR Emod onto the existing buffer tube and simply bolt it into the one hole?

Honestly not sure, I mean looking at the VLTOR Emod if you have a place to put that screw back in, it would be ok. I was going to get a 6 position buffer tube, and a CTR Stock and pin it.

If you can remove the one that comes in the stock and use the screw that came with the rifle there shouldn't be a problem.

16m87tg.jpg