Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

New CZ-52

congrats, gotta love those CZs...How much does ammo cost for that?

Depends really. If you want to clean the gun after every shoot, you can buy spam cans of corrosive ammo for like 12 cents a round.

This was the KGB gun of choice. The thugs in the Soviet Union started to wear body armor so they switched it up to this round. It is a heavy penetrator. The round was likely to perf the first perp then hit the guy behind him. Easy twofer.

It has high velocity for a handgun and isn't likely to tumble until 50+ yards.

It also is a surprise hit at the range, big fireballs and loud report. Much fun!

I have one and enjoy mine. I put a harrington firing pin in mine and the trigger pull was reduced immensely and feels like a target trigger now. If the PO didn't do this, take a look into it, it makes shooting this gun so nice.

http://www.harringtonproducts.com/firing-pins/

The example i got was from a guy that specializes in CZ52's and tokarev's and hand picks them from the importers to gurantee the best specimens. With such re-arsenaled guns, you can never be too sure when ordering from a place that will pull one out of a pile of 10,000 to fulfill your order. I had a bad experience with a mosin once that i swear must have been converted to 12GA the bore was so worn out. Anyways, the one i got was in such new condition, the chamber was quite tight and intolerant to sloppy spec ammo. I have several varieties of surplus 7.62x25 and i would characterize them as follows:

Romanian surplus - very cheap ($120/1200rds) and the most out of spec of them all. I could not reliably run this in the CZ52 as some rounds would jam the action before it fully enters battery. 1 round per mag on average would need to be ejected as it just wouldn't fully chamber. One locked the gun up so tight, i had to rack the slide Hitler-style against the shooting bench to get enough push on it to break it loose. This ammo runs flawlessly in my Tokarev's though--they run very loose. 80's production. Corrosive primers.

Polish surplus - also very cheap($110/1200 rds) and runs reliably in all my guns chambered for this round, CZ included. 50's era production and some will have split necks after firing but is safe to shoot. Comes in filthy zinc or galvanized spam cans with years of corrosion on the outside. Corrosive primers.

Yugoslavian surplus - most expensive of the bunch and only available byt the box of 70 but is about $4/box. Cleanest and newest of the bunch (80/90's production). Primers are very hard and perhaps a couple rounds per box require a second strike to fire (but will all fire) in my CZ52. Shimming (increases spring tension) the hammer spring will apparently cure this. Fires with no issue in tokarev pistols. Primers are sealed with red sealant that tends to collect in the breech area and needs to be swept out when you clean the gun. Corrosive primers.

I've never fired any new ammo as i bought these guns to take advantage of cheap surplus as that is one of the best features of shooting these old blasters. I'd go to the range and blast through 2-3 boxes of ammo without a care in the world the ammo is just so cheap.

A quick hint for cleaning corrosive residue: get some M-Pro7/Hoppe's elite. It's formulated to clean corrosive primer residue and performs as advertised. Many people will advocate using water/windex/spit/unicorn tears and other such sillyness but MPro works great and its all i use in all my surplus rifles and pistols. I used to use the hot water method but always ended up with a little rust bloom here or there as the water itself is the actual corrosive agent that the primer compounds attract so why introduce even more of it in the name of cleaning? MPro is a detergent type cleaner (not primarly a solvent) so it cleans away the primer compounds and has no water to leave behind and rust your nice gun. Just my two pence on the matter.

If you want and additional mags, only get original CZ, Triple K and the others are junk.

Enjoy your gun, i saw the ad for it and it looks like a beauty!