Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Justices signal end to Chicago ban on handguns

Do you think this will open up the locked floodgates and let the NRA in to do business on our behalf?

hard to tell..NRA has been conspiciously absent in NJ in the past..oh they go through the motions and mouth plattitudes, but they've never really dug in and FOUGHT for us here. Maybe with a Due Process we chan shake some money from NRA/ILA that NJ members have donated in the past to get things done here.

I think this is because NJ does not have a 2nd ammendment "copy" in the state constitution.

You wouldnt believe how many people will argue that point, or insist that it used to be there and was removed. All I can think of is that the RKBA being such a core issue to the Revolution in the first place, the State Founders never concieved that it would ever BE an issue.

Do you think this will open up the locked floodgates and let the NRA in to do business on our behalf?

hard to tell..NRA has been conspiciously absent in NJ in the past..oh they go through the motions and mouth plattitudes, but they've never really dug in and FOUGHT for us here. Maybe with a Due Process we chan shake some money from NRA/ILA that NJ members have donated in the past to get things done here.

I think this is because NJ does not have a 2nd ammendment "copy" in the state constitution.

but if 2A gets incorporated, I dont think we need one... but I guess that could be argued.

You wouldnt believe how many people will argue that point, or insist that it used to be there and was removed. All I can think of is that the RKBA being such a core issue to the Revolution in the first place, the State Founders never concieved that it would ever BE an issue.

but if 2A gets incorporated, I dont think we need one... but I guess that could be argued.

Yes but that is the sad nature of today is it not? I cannot believe states are allowed to get away with deny rights of citizens and then we have to wait for legal action to reach the supreme court for them to slap the states back in place for something they should have known from the beginning.

Yes but that is the sad nature of today is it not? I cannot believe states are allowed to get away with deny rights of citizens and then we have to wait for legal action to reach the supreme court for them to slap the states back in place for something they should have known from the beginning.

I Agree. :doh:

The 1949 NJ constitution is the one in effect now. I wonder if the RKBA was left out deliberately at that time. Not sure of the timing, but Howard Unruh comitted his crimes in 1949.

NJ Has NEVER had an RKBA in its constitution. Not in the July 2 1776 Original, or any subsequent revision.

The 1949 NJ constitution is the one in effect now. I wonder if the RKBA was left out deliberately at that time. Not sure of the timing, but Howard Unruh comitted his crimes in 1949.

NJ Has NEVER had an RKBA in its constitution. Not in the July 2 1776 Original, or any subsequent revision.

+1 - I didn't believe this, and did the research myself. KPD is 100% correct.

NRA is not even the lead in the Chicago case. I'll admit being new to the NRA but I see them more as lobbyists then litigants. So I think it will take another organization other then the NRA to fight it out here in the peoples republic.

They are now actually. Gura's case was built in Privledges and immunities, NRA's concurrent argument was based on Due Process..which i founf typical of them...It had the least amount of Risk. IMO if NRA HAD NOT filed their own brief using Due Process, and Left +Gura Alone, Privledges and immunities would NOT have been immediately dismissed. By offering SCOTUS the choice of paths, they took the one that would cause the least upset when it comes to precedence and not overturn the Slaughterhouse decisions.

They talked about this on "The Journal Editorial Report" last night on Fox News.

Colin Levey of the WSJ stated that even the conservatives on the SCOTUS are apprehensive about opening up a possible "can of worms" by using the Priveleges and Immunity Clause.

I searched the NJ legislature bills for 2010 and found these;

assembly bill A-1384 is now in the senate as S-69 which refers to carry permits;

in short; it would revise the current statue and eliminate the justafiable need

/ superior court process and the denial clause of health,welfare and safety of the community; so any citizen of good character could get one issued from the local PD..and the carry permit fee of $20 good for 5yrs....

S-1584 would mandate the NICS be the exclusive method used to determine

if a person qualifies for PP/FID and would change the 30 day issue to 10 days.

these's bills do include a 6 hour training course be taken......so there is some hope; not much, but some......

NRA is not even the lead in the Chicago case. I'll admit being new to the NRA but I see them more as lobbyists then litigants. So I think it will take another organization other then the NRA to fight it out here in the peoples republic.

They are now actually. Gura's case was built in Privledges and immunities, NRA's concurrent argument was based on Due Process..which i founf typical of them...It had the least amount of Risk. IMO if NRA HAD NOT filed their own brief using Due Process, and Left +Gura Alone, Privledges and immunities would NOT have been immediately dismissed. By offering SCOTUS the choice of paths, they took the one that would cause the least upset when it comes to precedence and not overturn the Slaughterhouse decisions.

They talked about this on "The Journal Editorial Report" last night on Fox News.

Colin Levey of the WSJ stated that even the conservatives on the SCOTUS are apprehensive about opening up a possible "can of worms" by using the Priveleges and Immunity Clause.

if NRA hadnt gone in with the Due Process Argument and ALLOWED Alan to go after P&I it would ahve been the catalyst to change gun laws All OVER the country. NJ, NY, Cali, Ma....all could have been called to task. F%%^$%#$ NRD does it again to us. They wanted NOTHING to do with heller until it was apparent that Gura would win, then they jumped in last minute and tried to claim credit. I am an NRA member..but out of Necessity, not desire. I think that while yes, they have fought for our rights...they have also ALWAYS taken the easy road, and thereby allowd more infringement than they should have.

A1384 - 1/12/2010 Introduced, Referred to Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee

S69 - 1/12/2010 Introduced in the Senate, Referred to Senate Law and Public Safety Committee

Still in committee. Will probably never come OUT of committee. But keep calling, writing etc and letting your representatives know that you want this.

A1384 - 1/12/2010 Introduced, Referred to Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee

S69 - 1/12/2010 Introduced in the Senate, Referred to Senate Law and Public Safety Committee

Still in committee. Will probably never come OUT of committee. But keep calling, writing etc and letting your representatives know that you want this.

When did it move to the committee? Last I heard they were still on the desks of our politicans waiting to be moved to the commitees?

When did it move to the committee? Last I heard they were still on the desks of our politicans waiting to be moved to the commitees?

They mean moved OUT of committee. If it gets pass the committee then it can be voted on.

This sounds really bad. Thank goodness many states have RKBA in their Constitutions. But, the way this is going, the feds may decide to pass their own laws regulating the "bear" part.

I don't think a 2A equivalent in a State constitution means a hill of beans.

Ask the people of Illinois, see how their 2A is working out for 'em.

See section 22: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lrb/con1.htm

Umm... You mean this?

"SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS

Subject only to the police power, the right of the

individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be

infringed."

I prefer this:

"Pennsylvania: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Sounds funny, right? I got news for you. We have Rule of Law when it comes to firearms in PA. Cops generally tread lightly in this territory. Because 99% of judges recognize law. And almost 100% of appeal judges do.

In NJ, it's Rule of Luck with the political class.