moparman426

My new AR

After doing months and months of research, I finally took the plunge and bought an AR. Picked it up on Saturday. She's a S&W M&P15 in 5.56 NATO (stock is pinned, no muzzle break / compensator, no bayo lug, etc etc). After I replenish my bank account, I am going to look into a set of iron sights. I kind of like the look of the carrying handles, so i am going to look into one of those. But what is a good front sight to use with the carrying handle? Any suggestions would be awesome. But for now, please enjoy my pics. The first is just me having fun with some items from my military collection :D and sorry for the bad pics. my camera is horrible.

Nice. Definitely get backup sights... or optics (though I would recommend both-- or at least irons at the minimum). Troy Industries, Yankee Hill Machine (YHM), GG&G are a few names. I personally used Magpul MBUS (both front and rear) for my MP15 upper. Though, because the MBUS system is polymer, its noted that users should not put it on the railed gas block because the MBUS front sight system could melt. I put mine on the railed handguards right in front of the railed gas block to accommodate (I've switched out my upper since).

Regarding front sights, folding or fixed, it doesn't really matter. As for the rear sight, I would recommend folding, unless you're going to run strictly a 1x optic (red dots)... but having a folding rear sight gives you a lot of flexibility (especially if you get a magnifier for the red dot system, or if you decide to run glass optics).

Best of luck, feel free to ask if you have any other questions-- and enjoy your AR.

Thank you guys for the comments!! and BBK, thank you for your recommendations / info on sights. I deff want to get folding sights (no question about that). Later on, i will look into some form of optics, mainly a red dot scope... or a Trijicon scope. Im actually looking at a set of NC Star front and rear folding sights on eBay right now. Im really hellbent on getting some form of sights on this... cause otherwise i would have to use the 'pray and spray' method at the range... and that might be frowned upon :lol:

Thank you guys for the comments!! and BBK, thank you for your recommendations / info on sights. I deff want to get folding sights (no question about that). Later on, i will look into some form of optics, mainly a red dot scope... or a Trijicon scope. Im actually looking at a set of NC Star front and rear folding sights on eBay right now. Im really hellbent on getting some form of sights on this... cause otherwise i would have to use the 'pray and spray' method at the range... and that might be frowned upon :lol:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... bok?no=203

thats what i had on my mp15 they were really nice.. solid construction.. probably pick up the rear for my 308 at some point..