CPRPE

How about another suggestion?

Ok.... So I was thinking of a Mini 14 in .223. But I just recently picked up a PC-4 at a good price and figure it is so similar to the Mini 14 that I should think of something else.

So now I am thinking bolt action. I am lefty so that plays into it. I don't want to spend a fortune on the rifle or the ammunition. Just looking for something different and a little fun. Maybe for the Wednesday Range 14 outings. I know this is a loaded question but have at it, fellas.

Thanks.

CPR

Get something in a Varmint caliber like 17 Remington, 204 Ruger or 22-250. They are extremely accurate out to several hundred yards and those light bullets (i.e. 32 and 40 grain V-max ballistic tips) go about 4000fps. They make fruit, water bottles, soda cans, etc explode really well and are light recoiling enough (especially the 17 and 204) that you can see what you hit in your scope. Remington and Savage are both good about making lefty bolt guns (Savage is cheaper and just as good as Remmy these days). Ask Chad about his lefty Remmy 22-250.

I was thinking about picking up a single shot H&R in 204 Ruger for $275. How wrong can you go for that kind of money?

I think fun will be the priority on this one. Blowing up fruit, coconuts adn milk bottles sounds like a blast. I don't have a need for tactical at this point. That may be the next obesession. Have yet to fire an AR so who knows. I can't add too many things at once.

I bought some Fiocchi 40 grain ballistic tipped 223 varmint ammo for my AR. I am definitely looking forward to blowing some shit up. 3700fps =fruit bomb

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=187569

buy the pistol that goes with that PC-40

I am on my 2nd pc40 I traded my 1st then picked up another,, great guns and lots of fun I also have a Mini 14 coming next week so what I'm saying is if you find a good deal just buy it what ever you find

OK so I am set on a Rem 700. Started to do some research... There are A LOT of choices. I am thinking of 22-250 in caliber so that narrows choices some. I was looking at : SPS Stainless, SPS Varmint, Varmint SF, or 700 VTR... Some of it may be purely cosmetic. Any thoughts on the above? Is there anywhere in Central NJ where I could handle one? Thoughts, suggestions, etc. are always appreciated.

Thanks All...

CPR

Hey Chris,

I bought a fun Varmint gun. It is chambered in 204Ruger. This is a less common (and more expensive by a little) caliber than 22-250. To me it has the advantage of speed (4200fps. 22-250 can't match that except in the lightest loadings) and it is light recoiling enough that you can see what you hit through your scope. 22-250 and 223, as light as they are, still make the muzzle jump a little and I always got annoyed when everyone else saw the fruit/soda can etc. explosion except me (the shooter). The gun is extremely accurate, and I love the varmint thumbhole stock. It is a single loader target model. Remington also made it in 223.

Here is a pic of my Remington XR100.

I am a lefty too. I just bit the bullet and learned to shoot my rifles righty since there are so many more choices that way. Also, I am right eye dominant so that made the transition easier.

I can bring it to BA on Wednesday if you want to try it out.

Hey Chris,

I bought a fun Varmint gun. It is chambered in 204Ruger. This is a less common (and more expensive by a little) caliber than 22-250. To me it has the advantage of speed (4200fps. 22-250 can't match that except in the lightest loadings) and it is light recoiling enough that you can see what you hit through your scope. 22-250 and 223, as light as they are, still make the muzzle jump a little and I always got annoyed when everyone else saw the fruit/soda can etc. explosion except me (the shooter). The gun is extremely accurate, and I love the varmint thumbhole stock. It is a single loader target model. Remington also made it in 223.

Here is a pic of my Remington XR100.

I am a lefty too. I just bit the bullet and learned to shoot my rifles righty since there are so many more choices that way. Also, I am right eye dominant so that made the transition easier.

I can bring it to BA on Wednesday if you want to try it out.

he said he was a lefty Chris, thumbhole won't work for him. I do agrre with your choices for calibers. fun & inexpensive