Turboprop21

Question regarding possible FID denial

First off let me say that this forum has a vast amount of information flying around. I finally broke down and joined after weeks of lurking and reading. Of all the forums I've been a part of from aviation to automotive, this seems to be the most organized and streamlined forum I've come across.

Moving on, I have a question regarding the probability that my recent application on my FID card will be denied. I'm still in the early stages and I will be going on the 2 week mark this coming week. Back when I was 16 I was arrested for possession of a weapon in Woodbridge Township where I still currently live. The weapon was a BB gun and by no means was it loaded or was there any intention at causing bodily harm to anyone. I went to court and was charged as a juvenile for possession of a weapon in New Brunswick and served 1 year probation. Once my school system found out I was kicked out of school even though it had nothing to do directly with school in fact it was during summer break. In order for me to be re-enrolled I had to get the charge changed, in which it was to a conspiracy charge which currently stands now and I'm thankful until this day for that opportunity.

This was eight years ago and I've since had no further issues or arrests. I'm currently employed as an FAA aviation maintenance supervisor over at Newark airport. I've gone through numerous FBI background checks for my FAA licenses, employment, airport security badges (not that this means much from what we see on the news :D ), and other required items. All of which have come back with no issues at all nor any mention of a record. The point I'm trying to make is in your opinion will this be held against me or since I have grown up, learned, and have successfully pursued a government career this minor blemish will be overlooked?

It would severely bother me to see my application rejected but that would all be self inflicted due to my past and the blame would I'm solely on myself. I've just become so interested in picking up the hobby of shooting at the range and collecting with the potential to possibly hunt in the future. On my down time all I do is research different variations of guns, the history about them, and most importantly proper usage and the responsibilities they require. Thanks in advance and keep up the great forum.

It would severely bother me to see my application rejected but that would all be self inflicted due to my past and the blame would I'm solely on myself.

First off. Don't beat yourself up like that. You were a kid, kids do stupid things. I'd love to meet someone who never did something dumb as a child. On a scale of stupid 1-10, what you did is about a 1. Seriously, NJ is one of the only places in the USA that gives a shit about BB guns. Hell, watch A Christmas Story, the damn thing is about a 12 year old getting a toy for Christmas that NJ considers the same as a big bore centerfire rifle that can kill at 600-800 yards :lol: If that happened somewhere else the cop would have probably just told you to get lost.

Anyways 2 weeks for an FID is nothing, usually it's like 2-4 months. Did you answer yes to the question about juvenile delinquency? I think you should have, just be honest. For them to deny you a firearm for something so simple is just ridiculous. Though I wouldn't put it past them.

No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
:lol:

Thanks for the response, it's helping me get over my worries. I tell buddies from other states (mostly VA) about my run in and they laugh at me with the response "Come on man, you serious a BB gun?"

As for disclosing it, yes I put it down. I'd rather be honest and get rejected rather than be dishonest and still get rejected but look like a fool in the process. Thanks again

No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
:lol:

Thanks for the response, it's helping me get over my worries. I tell buddies from other states (mostly VA) about my run in and they laugh at me with the response "Come on man, you serious a BB gun?"

As for disclosing it, yes I put it down. I'd rather be honest and get rejected rather than be dishonest and still get rejected but look like a fool in the process. Thanks again

Exactly. You should be good man. Best of luck with the permit and welcome to the sport.

If I could offer a potential new gun enthusiast just one piece of advice: Hold onto your wallet! :lol:

Careful kid, you'll shoot your eye out!

welcome to the forum and a sincere thank you for your kind words. It is always rewarding to hear from someone to whom the forum has made an impact.

Having said that.... I dont know. :lol: I think you should be ok, but I would wait for someone from our LEO community to chime in.

Thank you for the welcome. I hope to contribute as much as I can to the community. That is of course if I get the FID card, if not it would be like throwing salt into the wounds coming back onto this site :p

All joking aside I look forward to hearing responses from someone with experience dealing in this area.

If you disclosed this on the form, the chances are very good you won't be denied. When I read the first post, I was thinking you hadn't and that would be much more likely to cause a denial.

Cheers, and welcome.

an expungement will wipe your slate clean - also some juvenile records are sealed after a certain amount of time - check with an attorney -

should have checked with a Attn. First. If you get denied, Even if you appeal and win, For the rest of your life you will have to check yes to the little box that says" Have you ever been denied for any reason" Because you have been.

Then your paper work gets hung up and takes for ever for every purchase from now on. My buddy Joe now takes 6-7 months to get a permit, And every time they treat it like they just found out about it.

Get on the ball now and talk to someone before it gets official

My cousin had an issue like that and was told to appeal. The Lt of the town, said he would never approve it. Luckily the Lt. got thrown out and the next guy saw the situation differently and gave him the FID.

Good luck, I think you'll be okay. Welcome to the forum.

should have checked with a Attn. First.

I actually checked with a few attorneys that either specialized in criminal law or expungements prior to submitting my application. General consensus was of course disclose it, however no definite answer as to if I would be approved could be given since the decision is not theirs. Most said since it was just a BB gun it should be overlooked and they've seen more severe crimes get approved, not to mention it was juvenile charge and that was the extent of my record.

Either way they said the job I currently hold and the checks I've gone through tend to be just as if not more in depth and having no problems there I should have no problems with my application. Thanks to all who've replied :pray:

QUOTE ( For the rest of your life you will have to check yes to the little box that says" Have you ever been denied for any reason" Because you have been. )

with an expungement you can legally check the no box !!!!!!

Yes that was my point Exactly, :clap:

Get it expunged so you will not have to deal with that crap. Once you check yes it hangs up your paperwork and we all know how long you have to wait even if it is perfect.

I think you will be OK, I just hope you don't have to deal with longer wait times and more explaining in the future.

Good Luck Man and get that crap off your record if you can. May seem silly now, But it is worth it.

Keep us posted

As I said in another post my brother was denied hid FID card and won his appeal. I dont know if he has ever had that expunged, but he always gets put on that "temporary hold". The longest it has taken so far was 4 hours. I on the other hand was not denied and I still got put on hold... for 15 mins :? I dont know what was accomplished it 15 mins, but whatever.

well good news came in today, I received the letter in the mail stating my card and permits are ready to be picked up. :mrgreen:

Literally took all but 4 weeks as of today. I had the fingerprints done May 5 and picked up the card today. Thanks again to everyone who previously posted. I can't wait to make my first purchase!

well good news came in today, I received the letter in the mail stating my card and permits are ready to be picked up. :mrgreen:

Literally took all but 4 weeks as of today. I had the fingerprints done May 5 and picked up the card today. Thanks again to everyone who previously posted. I can't wait to make my first purchase!

Congrats. Great turn around time. My town seems is 3.5 months on average.

just be careful, april 28th i picked up my fid and permits and now ...well lets just say i spent ALOT OF MONEY. Its very addicting!

I feared that, I've been setting aside money for quite some time. However, knowing me that won't be anything close to enough once I start getting hooked. Either way it's a hobby that I've been longing to pick up. Next it's the fiancee's turn, we'll see the turn around time on her end

Congrats