MJP

Being on meds as a teenager - will it affect a permit?

UPDATE: here's where the fecal matter is impacting with the air impelling unit. I went to two psychiatrists more recently that I forgot to mention - a simple omission as basic as it gets. It was unrelated to the psychiatrist I saw as a kid, but I still needed to figure out what to do. It was only for scrip purposes to see if adderall would help for me, but since it didn't and they were so far apart (about 8-9 months between them) I simply forgot.

I emailed the detective bureau secretary on Monday and got a call back from the detective handling my forms today. He was somewhat concerned because once the form is accepted, it's accepted, and something like this is a pretty serious omission that raises a red flag. I told him I definitely understood, and that's why I reached out to contact him and stay on the level.

I explained that I was more focused on the one shrink from way back, and in the end he asked me to drop off, in writing, a letter stating the names of the doctors, the dates I saw them, and the nature of the omission.

The HPPD detective told me that I'd also need to have the doctors forward him a letter with the same details, and it seems like he'll be contacting them upon receipt to verify. I'm starting to think that my forgetfulness may do me in to an appeal down the road, but all I can do is try to stay on the level.

UPDATE: here's where the fecal matter is impacting with the air impelling unit. I went to two psychiatrists more recently that I forgot to mention - a simple omission as basic as it gets. It was unrelated to the psychiatrist I saw as a kid, but I still needed to figure out what to do. It was only for scrip purposes to see if adderall would help for me, but since it didn't and they were so far apart (about 8-9 months between them) I simply forgot.

I emailed the detective bureau secretary on Monday and got a call back from the detective handling my forms today. He was somewhat concerned because once the form is accepted, it's accepted, and something like this is a pretty serious omission that raises a red flag. I told him I definitely understood, and that's why I reached out to contact him and stay on the level.

I explained that I was more focused on the one shrink from way back, and in the end he asked me to drop off, in writing, a letter stating the names of the doctors, the dates I saw them, and the nature of the omission.

The HPPD detective told me that I'd also need to have the doctors forward him a letter with the same details, and it seems like he'll be contacting them upon receipt to verify. I'm starting to think that my forgetfulness may do me in to an appeal down the road, but all I can do is try to stay on the level.

I'm quite impressed with the speed that they are processing your application actually.

Hey all, this is a bit delicate, so bear with me for a moment.

When I was 16-17 years old, I was seeing a psychiatrist and on meds. At no point was I ever involuntarily committed, and at no point was any state authority involved. It was done through my parents' health insurance. This was a seven-month period from 1999-2000.

I'm looking over the form to apply for a first-time firearms purchasing card. They're requesting me to say yes or no to whether or not I was ever treated by a psychiatrist. Also I'll need to submit the form to allow a mental health records search.

My questions:

1) Would my records even be on file from that far back?

2) Should I say Yes, and if so, would I basically be barred from owning a firearm pending possible appeals?

3) Should I submit a letter from my psychiatrist with my application stating that I'm definitely not a threat to myself or others by owning a firearm?

Any input is appreciated.

I was on meds, went through counseling but never committed. I casually asked over the phone to the LEO, " if someone saw a counselor but was not committed should that be noted"? He said "NO", unless you are committed or got in trouble with the law resulting in the mental problem.

The way I look at it,

#1) Everyone has "problems".

#2) Everyone can benefit from counseling at some point in their lives.

#3) Going to counseling, taking medication under the supervisions of a qualified doctor is not abuse or "problem".

#4) Getting help/counseling shows a willingness to get better and dealing with life... a strength, that is.

#5) It ain't none of their business. What does that have to do with our right "not to be infringed"?

So no. I did not put it in there.

Gosh, the whole process I go through to "legally" get a firearm I/We are treated like a criminal. Get finger printed, fill out mental health forms, fill out every piece of paper pertaining to SS#, birth place, DOB, physical illness, mental, references, pay a fee, wait 2 months, get re-finger printed, can't carry, have to go straight to the range and home, can't defend myself and must retreat. This is a right that is not to be infringed? Am I missing something?

Update: I got a letter the other day from the HP police detective on my application, stating that they can't proceed without two extra STS-033s and Mental Health Forms for each other doctor I'd recently seen. I'm starting to think that I should probably have kept my mouth shut about forgetting those other two docs, since the reason I saw them was beyond minor and nowhere near a danger to anyone in general.

My other concern is that if they have me sign a consent to search mental health records, wouldn't the pertinent data be in there?

Here we go again.

i'm an optimist so; seems like they are giving you a real chance at getting an fid.....if you were'nt confined or committed for a phyc eval, there should'nt be a state record for them to find..answer no...I believe there is a law that requires a doctor to make a report if they feel a patient should'nt own firearms...if your doctor did'nt make a report, then start saving $$ for something that goes "Bang"......

my brother-in-law is now 26 and he recently applied for an FID and was denied because when asked have you committed a crime he said not but when he was 17 he hit his step father in the head with a bottle during a fight and was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, he was told by his lawyer i believe that since he was only 17 by the time he turned 18 it would be off his record so he answered no to committing crimes and they sent the denial letter to him with the reason which was the assault. so yes be honest i say at least or call your lawyer

my brother-in-law is now 26 and he recently applied for an FID and was denied because when asked have you committed a crime he said not but when he was 17 he hit his step father in the head with a bottle during a fight and was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, he was told by his lawyer i believe that since he was only 17 by the time he turned 18 it would be off his record so he answered no to committing crimes and they sent the denial letter to him with the reason which was the assault. so yes be honest i say at least or call your lawyer

I dont know WHY people kep parroting the fiction that a juvenile record is "Sealed" (not YOU per se OP, but you wouldnt believe how many times ive heard that over the years) ANY Arrest shows up on a background check, ESPECIALLY a Criminal History Check done by an LE agency. That assault would have been an Indictable Offense (Felony) if charged as an adult, and you can pretty much bet that he was arrested processed AND fingerprinted the same as if he were an adult, the only difference being that the charges were done through the Juvenile as opposed to the Adult system. If you have ANY arrest, for ANY reason at ANY Age, you had better disclose it when applying for a Firearm permit, or Job Application. You woudnt believe how many PD applicants fail to mention prior arrests, even though they are told the same thing I just said in the previous line.

ETA: If an arrest has been Expunged, that is a different story..however even Attorneys arent sure how that affects 2A Rights if it was a felony arrest.

to JoeyBones - are you kidding, not a chance. Look what is now happening in Chicago, they are now making the process even harder than what we have in NJ, if that's even possible. IMO - No the SP ruling will not have any impact on the Pistol Permit process in NJ.

ETA: If an arrest has been Expunged, that is a different story..however even Attorneys arent sure how that affects 2A Rights if it was a felony arrest.

if it is expunged than you can get a FID i know someone that was denied than was expunged and than granted a FID and pistol permits so expunged is fine and it was assault that was expunged

if it is expunged than you can get a FID i know someone that was denied than was expunged and than granted a FID and pistol permits so expunged is fine and it was assault that was expunged

Simple or Aggravated Assault?

i'm an optimist so; seems like they are giving you a real chance at getting an fid.....if you were'nt confined or committed for a phyc eval, there should'nt be a state record for them to find..answer no...I believe there is a law that requires a doctor to make a report if they feel a patient should'nt own firearms...if your doctor did'nt make a report, then start saving $$ for something that goes "Bang"......

My big issue is that they requested everything in order within 30 days of their sending the letter (7/14). I've already made calls and sent faxes to the doctors and I seriously doubt that they're going to speed up the process. I doubt the two docs I need details from will boost my request to the top of their priorities list when they have actual patients going forward.

I'm going to have to request extra time if I can't confirm that the doctors have sent in the details.

Next time I'm dealing with paperwork of any kind for the state or government, I'm not going to be the nice guy - if I didn't get something on police letterhead then it doesn't get mentioned.

maybe you can pick up the doctor letters or ask them to be sent certified

or registered mail for dates sent and recieved..this way they cant say "it came to late".....did the dr. say something to imply it would take awhile to send a letter? try to get copies of anything they send out...

as far as the 30 day thing; if you think or led to believe you will be denied

after 30 days...then ; withdraw your request for the FID till you have all youre ducks in a row......keep a positive thought.......alot of people have been through worse to get an FID........

Simple or Aggravated Assault?

it was actually with a deadly weapon but found out it was dismissed so never mind :oops: :facepalm::facepalm::whistle:

Right, no worries...just on an academic level though, it would be Aggravated (2C:12-1b(2)) which would make a huge difference in the long run if it hadnt been dismissed. Simple is a DP (Disorderly persons Offiese) Agg is an Indicatable Offense (what the REST of the world calls a Felony)