67gtonut

SigSauer Academy Trip

Well, I am back from a GREAT weekend trip. I left Friday morning to attend a SigSauer Academy Course on Saturday. I got inspired to do this from the 2 off-site courses I took at the BulletHole/GunsForHire location a few months ago.

Having never been in in the New England area, i wanted to get there early to find the school, maybe find a closer hotel to the Academy, and just to see the area. I did find a nice hotel closer to the school that I originally reserved online.... which was good.

The Academy is located in Exeter NH, right near their factory. In fact many of the academy employee's are full-time factory worker, that work extra hours at the Academy.

Saturday started off with T-Storms, but the 1st half of the day was going to be inside anyway. The course I was taking is called "Speed Shooting" ....

Course Description:

Speed Shooting

Duration: 1 day / 8 hours

Overview

Setting base lines w/ a timer

Maximizing grip and stance for high speed performance

Multiple shot strings

Transitions

Multiple shots on multiple targets

Man-on-man

This course will focus on breaking your "comfort zone" relative to speed: speed of presentation, speed of shot delivery, speed of target transition, and speed of reload, all while maintaining the foundational accuracy you've come to expect from operating within your "comfort zone".

The intermediate/advanced shooter will be challenged in ways that allow them to shoot to their full potential.

Course content is equally suited to both armed professionals and responsible citizens.

There was 10 students, and we teamed up with the person next to us in the classroom. Sort of weird how things work out.... There were 2 women, they of course ended up sitting next to eachother, then there was a "seasoned" competition shooter, who ended up sitting next to a Sig employee taking the course, both were by far the best shooters in the group. I ended up sitting next to this young man from Mass., who of all things..... was shooting an M&P 9mm ( same as me) ....Rode motorcycles, and was also a car nut like me.... The other 4 guys I never really got to know to well.

As far as firearms.... There was the 2 M&P's, 1 SA XDm, the "seasoned" competition shooter was using his worked 1911, 1 of the ladies had a Glock, the rest Sigs of some sort...

We started in the indoor range with simple skill drills to get warmed up. Distances for drills went from 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 & 25yds....

We started out from the High Ready position, then switched to Holster draws by the 2nd hour. We even did stron and weak hand drills, that was a wake up call in many ways. For me, I surprised myself with how "not too bad" I was at strong hand...... and how difficult Weak hand drills were.....

I also gained confidence ...... I was getting mostly A zone hits..... even at 25yds, which I dont practice at, because I never think I can do it....

In fact..... I was impressed with everyones performance...... The 2 best shooters( Sig employee & Seasoned dude) were out classing the rest of the class with their 1 ragged whole, but I expected that.

What was also a great realization was moving from the 5yd, to 10yd, to 15yd to 25yd, then all the way back to 5yds..... was how much faster you instantly become going back to the 5yd line....

We broke for lunch, and got back and started the outside portion with the steel targets..... This was by far the best part of the day.

After a ton more drills, we tried some friendly competition at the steel plates....

1st competition was 2 at a time using the teams....

Steel plates were 2 set-ups of 8 plates across. 1st team to knock down all 8 plates wins, losing team eliminated. Me and the other M&P dude did well, ending up in the final against the 2 guys( Sig employee and 1911 dude) that have been outshooting everyone all day. It was close..... they just beat us..... I was happy.

Next competition was 1 on 1 ....

This was on a steel target set-up like this

duelingtreebig.jpg

except there were 6 plates..... and its started with 3 on each side

when a plate is shot, it swings to the other side...... the idea is to get all plates on your competitors side.... and you win. Very fustrating.... as you are shooting your plates as fast you can.... the other guy is swinging em back to your side.... LOL..... this can go on for quite a while.... tons of fun.

Well.......... out of the 10 students...... I ended up in the final against Mr. 1911 dude. Talk about David vs. Goliath !!!!! I got my ass handed to me pretty quickly, but I was glowing inside regardless.

As the day was coming to a close the teacher asked what we wanted to do..... one of the students wanted to perform the "El Presidente" drill

3 silhouette targets are placed 1 meter apart in a line 10 meters from the shooter

The shooter starts with 6 rounds in a holstered handgun, and a spare magazine or speedloader with another 6 rounds

The shooter begins facing directly away from the targets, often with hands clasped in front or over the head.

Upon the starting signal, the shooter turns and draws, fires 2 shots at each target, reloads, then fires two more shots at each target.

So the teacher took us thru it..... and it was awesome....

Long hot tiring day..... and next to my times taking my cars down the 1/4, the most fun I have had in a long time. I gained a ton of self-confidence, and plenty of new skills.

I highly recommend taking a Sig Course, or ANY course you can get hold of...... nothing beats it.

Below are some links and pics...... and even a short video of me doing the "El Presidente" drill....

SigSauer Academy http://sigsaueracademy.com/

IMG_0144.jpg

Pro Shop ..... Sig Heaven

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Indoor range

IMG_0145.jpg

Outdoor Range

IMG_0138.jpg

There are about a half dozen outdoor ranges there..... the place is huge.

And finally...

th_MVI_0146.jpg

IF you have any questions..... just ask.....

If you read this whole thing..... Thank you, I am just so excited..... I had to tell everyone

Troy, sounds like you had an awesome time. That video at the end was impressive. Those facilities, and the gun shop are really cool, you must have been like a kid in a candy store!!! Glad to hear you had a good time. Next week you have to share some of the stuff you learned with me at C.R.

Troy, sounds like you had an awesome time. That video at the end was impressive. Those facilities, and the gun shop are really cool, you must have been like a kid in a candy store!!! Glad to hear you had a good time. Next week you have to share some of the stuff you learned with me at C.R.

Mike.,.... It was awesome..... I would love to share what I learned....

That looks great.

I liked the video...you had a "mike" on the one? A miss?

Yeah..... He said I missed, but you can clearly hear the bullets hit the plate..... 2 per plate in each direction.

Yeah, but I saw a dust puff behind too...3rd shot.

You are correct sir... :oops:

:lol: I still dont care.... way too much fun :dance:

Dude, that looks like a lot of fun and improves your shooting. I wish we had a place to shoot plates around here. It's what makes the rimfire stuff so fun.

Congrats on your trip! Looks like it was fun and educational... going up to Sig Academy in NH has been on my "to-do" list for a while, but I'm going to have to "settle" for the more local stuff for a while (Pocono Pistol in PA is hosting Sig classes too now).

Dude, that looks like a lot of fun and improves your shooting. I wish we had a place to shoot plates around here. It's what makes the rimfire stuff so fun.

Not that close (1 1/2 hrs from Vernon) but have you checked out Old Bridge RPC's steel matches? I think they have at least 2 a months, in addition to the big steel matches there. http://worldclasssteel.com/