Sign in to follow this  
Scrap

Tell me about GSG?`

I absolutely have NO USE for the GSG .22LR that's a completely knockoff of the MP5...

...but I WANT IT...

I am such a .22LR hewer... I just seem to collect these things...

What should I know and/or what can you tell me before I buy one/

I have one and like it. There's a good thread here with tips.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1737&hilit=gsg

I added the buffer for the charging handle and bought the push pin and screw kit for it. The screws that hold it together are crap and you need the screw driver that comes with it to remove them or they strip. The screw kit is hex head and much better. The push pins make it easier to take apart. If you do get one replace the screws in the bolt carrier and loc-tite them. I'm not sure if they fixed any of these things in the new ones.

With a few easy mods, it's a fun gun to shoot and a nice plinker.

Its a fun gun yet the 'novelty' seems to wear off with many owners of it.

Id wait for it to drop in price, or buy a used one. Do NOT spend over $500 on it, or at least I wouldnt. Be careful with used ones, they had a recall on the barrel shrouds and pre XXXXX models currently have an illegal barrel shroud now. You have to send them to the factory and they will replace them. I had to do it, it took about 3 weeks. The new shrouds arent hollow anymore, so theyre a little heavier which is nice.

Expect to spend lots of money for numerous mags (you will easily buy 8-10), a red dot or some sort of glass, and lots of ammo.

The GSG has a clamshell design, so its a royal PITA to strip the whole thing. One of the few things I dont like about the GSG is the fact that you dont necessarily have to, but should, replace a few things. Its ridiculous that they included a special GSG tool just to take it apart. Lose the factory screws and buy the screw replacement set off Rrages.com. Also get the buffer and push pins. Get 2 or three screw replacement sets, just in case. If you arent comfortable with taking a gun apart fully and thoroughly, the GSG isnt for you. Expect to fully strip it every few range sessions, and half-strip it (take the bolt out but not un-clamshell it) every time you shoot it. .22 is dirty, Im sure as you know, so yeah. Some screws will need Locktite (medium strength, NOT full strength) as they tend to unscrew during lots of shooting.

Its lots of fun to shoot, and it gets a lot of looks. Every time Im at the range theres always someone standing behind me watching me. If they look legit, I will usually ask them if theyd like to shoot a mag or two. The grin on their faces are priceless when they get done.

If I could go back in time and had a choice between the M&P .22 or the GSG, Id probably get the M&P. The clamshell design really is that shitty. The thing I like about the GSG is its rather unique, in the aspect that I rarely see anyone else with one at the range, and everyone has AR .22's.

My advice - if you can get it for a good price, and your ready to strip it frequently and replace some stuff, go for it. If not, check out other semi-auto .22's like the AR clones and whatnot.

Heres mine. I posted it in the rimfire thread but Ill post it again since its relevant.

Oh by the way, my model is the GSG-SD in titanium. I replaced the forearm with the rails and stuff, just cause? I dont even know why, I think I fell into the 'gotta mod it' hole. Funny thing is all of my iother numerous guns arent modded with anything like that haha.

The titanium seems to chip easily, kind annoying. I am careful with it, just like any of my guns, but at the same time they do get used frequently and I refuse to have a brand new looking gun all the time. I enjoy having them look like they have been used, because I do use them frequently.

Many people are filling the [hollow] stock with foam, or something of the sort. I plan on doing this as the stock feels super cheap and light, so Id like to gain some density with the foam. It should give it a much nicer feel.

I have fired the GSG-5SD as well as the GSG Pistol (looks like a MP5K). They're cool for the fact they look like MP5's and have no recoil. For an actual .22 though, they're rather unwieldy. Personally I'd rather use a Henry Lever action or a 10/22.

Recessed Filter's posts nailed it. I have one, love it, keeping it, but it does have quirks.

It's fun, cheap to shoot and an excellent "gateway" gun for getting people who are new to firearms comfortable with shooting.

The BATF recall on the "silencer" was for the GSG5 **SD** models only. If the GSG5 isn't an SD, then it is not affected. AR15.com thread on the recall:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=305635

The importer, American Tactical Imports, has been very responsive on the customer service side in my experience.

Ammo is cheap, but the GSG is picky about what .22 ammo it will run reliably. Best bet is copper plated hollow points. The Federal bulk packs work well:

fedvaluepack.jpg

Check out this guy's youtube channel, he has a lot of great vids on the GSG, including full teardown and reassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/user/okfirearms

And here's an AR15.com thread on common problems and recommended ammo:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=253513

If you get one, absolutely get the replacement fastener kit. Most importantly, make sure that you use blue loctite on the fasteners on the bolt itself. They are likely to back out over time if you don't.

What others said is accurate. It is fun to shoot, but it needs mods to run right. You need the screw upgrade from RRages.com and they must be loctited as well as the bolt stop. You need a #9 torx screwdriver to remove the factory bolt carrier screws ( get one from Radio Shack, buy it and then return it- they cost like 19 bucks). It is fun to shoot and you will blow through many rounds rather cheaply. Lots of fun and you can spend more on modifications than the gun. Look at the GSG thread on AR15.com, under Armory then GSG5- enjoy