Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

US soldiers fight crime in Puerto Rico's heartland

Why don't we just kick this place loose and let them stand on their own? We can't even use the place as a bombing range anymore so what benefit is there in keeping it? (Honestly, I have no idea so if anyone out there does, let me know.)

The Puerto Rican Nationalists have been trying to break free for almost a century and while they haven't attempted to assassinate our President lately, I don't see the reason for holding on to the place any longer. I think the only reason that half the population there doesn't want independence is that they loose out on all of the benefits of being a US territory.

Why don't we just kick this place loose and let them stand on their own? We can't even use the place as a bombing range anymore so what benefit is there in keeping it? (Honestly, I have no idea so if anyone out there does, let me know.)

The Puerto Rican Nationalists have been trying to break free for almost a century and while they haven't attempted to assassinate our President lately, I don't see the reason for holding on to the place any longer. I think the only reason that half the population there doesn't want independence is that they loose out on all of the benefits of being a US territory.

I will say the US department of parks (or whatever it is called) does a great job of maintaining the rain Forrest areas!

And they are an incredibly small minority. the MAJORITY of Puerto Ricans are perfectly happy with things as they are, being a protectorate.

"They" are American citizens. "They" have been under the US banner for longer than Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii been states. PR has it's issue like every single state has. The biggest problem besides the drugs and the immigrants of other countries such as the Dominican Republic, is their bleeding hearts. They should go back to their older ways in dealing with outsiders and criminals. Maybe the US should cut states like NJ loose. What benefit do we give the US as a whole?? Maybe we should let them bomb Atlantic City for over sixty years and see how we feel about it.

Some people like to say stupid shit just to hear themselves talk.

Puerto Ricans are US citizens as Puerto Rico is a Common Wealth of the US, not a state. If Puerto Rico wants to become a state that's great, they can get in line with the rest of us. The fact is they don't, they wish to remain independant and still reap the benefits. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any ongoing movement within NJ for independance from the US, though if so I think the US would probably gain from ditching NJ if you want me to be honest.

Last I looked the US Government has been dropping Munitions on this state for decades (at least). It was only a few years ago that the National Guard accidentally dropped munitions on a local school and if I remember correctly they were still cleaning up WWI munitions off the beach last I heard.

As far as Puerto Rico in particular I personally feel they should either become a state or become independant, I could care less which honestly. Being down in the islands and being good friends with many people from there, Im sure Puerto Rico has gorgoues scenery, great people for the most part and enough dipshits to F everything up like everywhere else I've been to in that area.

As for the reason for my initial posting I'm tired of paying for the US to police the world (not Puerto Rico in particular but everywhere) when they can't even keep shit together here and we're not even wanted. I'm sick of places like Japan, Germany and South Korea bitching loudly about our troops being there and quitely hoping they never leave so they don't take the economic hit and (at least in South Korea's case) hoping North Korea doesn't see us leave and restart the ass kicking.

Some people like to say stupid **** just to hear themselves talk.

YUP - they do...

Picatinny Arsenal continues to test ordnance to this day. The very same Picatinny Arsenal which developed the Picatinny Rail. I remember hearing munitions testing on a daily basis as a child. I lived over 10 miles away from the arsenal. The arsenal has been active for over 100 years. Funny - you don't hear New Jerseyans complaining about it.

YUP - they do...

Picatinny Arsenal continues to test ordnance to this day. The very same Picatinny Arsenal which developed the Picatinny Rail. I remember hearing munitions testing on a daily basis as a child. I lived over 10 miles away from the arsenal. The arsenal has been active for over 100 years. Funny - you don't hear New Jerseyans complaining about it.

We have enough shit to complain about.

"They" are American citizens. "They" have been under the US banner for longer than Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii been states. PR has it's issue like every single state has. The biggest problem besides the drugs and the immigrants of other countries such as the Dominican Republic, is their bleeding hearts. They should go back to their older ways in dealing with outsiders and criminals. Maybe the US should cut states like NJ loose. What benefit do we give the US as a whole?? Maybe we should let them bomb Atlantic City for over sixty years and see how we feel about it.

I believe NJ receives less in Federal aid per tax dollar paid to the US gov't then PR does. That is the benefit NJ gives.

Federal Tax Burdens and Expenditures: New Jersey is a Donor State

New Jersey taxpayers receive less federal funding per dollar of federal taxes paid than any other state. Per dollar of federal tax paid in 2005, New Jersey citizens received approximately $0.61 in the way of federal spending.

YUP - they do...

Funny how you can compare what's done at Picatinny with bomb dropping for over 60 years.

I believe NJ receives less in Federal aid per tax dollar paid to the US gov't then PR does. That is the benefit NJ gives.

Federal Tax Burdens and Expenditures: New Jersey is a Donor State

New Jersey taxpayers receive less federal funding per dollar of federal taxes paid than any other state. Per dollar of federal tax paid in 2005, New Jersey citizens received approximately $0.61 in the way of federal spending.

There's something to be proud of. Pay the most, get the least. Sounds like we are suckers.

YUP - they do...

Funny how you can compare what's done at Picatinny with bomb dropping for over 60 years.

Funny how you can compare bomb dropping for 60 years with larger ordnance testing that has gone on for over 100 years. Last time I looked, Viques was closed, the economy in the local communities went in the shitter, and the people that protested realized what they lost, AFTER it was all gone. Picatinny still has sites which are not clean, is located in an area of hundreds of lakes which feed our aquifers, but whatever - you are right. :roll: