Sign in to follow this  
Tom-NJ2AS

gun shops in the poconos

Going on a golf trip this weekend to the Poconos. Our hotel is in East Strasbourg. I see ones when i do a google search, but looking for personal experience in that area. I have two pistol permits and would like to buy a Beretta, but it seems most of the shops around here are almost twice of what online dealers want. Anyone know of some good places i can check out?

thanks

Going on a golf trip this weekend to the Poconos. Our hotel is in East Strasbourg. I see ones when i do a google search, but looking for personal experience in that area. I have two pistol permits and would like to buy a Beretta, but it seems most of the shops around here are almost twice of what online dealers want. Anyone know of some good places i can check out?

thanks

You cannot purchase a pistol outside of NJ without transferring it to an FFL inside of NJ. This will cost you shipping and a transfer fee, likely negating any benefit to purchasing it out of state.

Do you mean Stroudsburg? Can't find any Strasbourg, PA. There is a Strasburg, but that is out by Lancaster.

If Stroudsburg - or close by, you have Dunklebergers on the main street of Stroudsburg. Be advised that this store caved into Bloombergs extortion tactics and all transactions there are video recorded. Nice inventory though.

In Broadheadsville there are two stores - Weaver's Gun Store and American Sport Shooter (A.S.S.).

A fellow named Phil owns/runs Weaver's. He's a nutcase (just my opinion) and is so consumed by anger at the fact that a former employee started A.S.S. just down the road, that it interferes with his quality of life. The store however, is generally well stocked and may have some interesting inventory.

A.S.S. is owned by Richie Flynn (aforementioned former employee) who is a great guy. He does some moderate gunsmithing, is familiar with evil black weapons, and his cases are always well stocked.

As pointed out, don't forget to factor in shipping and transfer, but hopefully you will be able to avoid sales tax (have them list it as a phone order), which will serve as an offset.

Good hunting & golfing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Do you mean Stroudsburg? Can't find any Strasbourg, PA. There is a Strasburg, but that is out by Lancaster.

If Stroudsburg - or close by, you have Dunklebergers on the main street of Stroudsburg. Be advised that this store caved into Bloombergs extortion tactics and all transactions there are video recorded. Nice inventory though.

In Broadheadsville there are two stores - Weaver's Gun Store and American Sport Shooter (A.S.S.).

A fellow named Phil owns/runs Weaver's. He's a nutcase (just my opinion) and is so consumed by anger at the fact that a former employee started A.S.S. just down the road, that it interferes with his quality of life. The store however, is generally well stocked and may have some interesting inventory.

A.S.S. is owned by Richie Flynn (aforementioned former employee) who is a great guy. He does some moderate gunsmithing, is familiar with evil black weapons, and his cases are always well stocked.

As pointed out, don't forget to factor in shipping and transfer, but hopefully you will be able to avoid sales tax (have them list it as a phone order), which will serve as an offset.

Good hunting & golfing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thank you. Good info!

I found a nice 97b for $660 in PA, compared to the price of $750 in Jersey.

With $20 shipping and an approx $50 transfer fee, its already up to $730. For 20 bucks, it just wasnt worth the hassle.

I could have saved almost $100 on it, yet any savings is out the door with extra fees.

Thats what I hate about handgun purchases out of state. Same with internet gun purchases. The savings can sometimes be amazing, yet after shipping and transferring fees, its not even worth it...Id rather just buy it in Jersey if I can.

I could have saved almost $100 on it, yet any savings is out the door with extra fees.

But at a $70 savings you figured it was worth it? Lets look at both of these numbers and calculate OTD prices.

Out of state gun: $660 + $20 SHI + $50 Transfer (incl NICS) = $730

NJ gun: $730 + $51 (7% Sales Tax) + $15 NICS = $796

That's $66 savings, only $4 less than your base figures. If your $50 does not include NICS, you need to find a new transfer dealer.

Just saying that you have to take everything into account. For lower priced guns, the savings in sales tax may not be enough to offset the shipping and transfer fees. It's something only the buyer can decide on a case-by-case basis.

JMHO / YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob

But at a $70 savings you figured it was worth it? Lets look at both of these numbers and calculate OTD prices.

Out of state gun: $660 + $20 SHI + $50 Transfer (incl NICS) = $730

NJ gun: $730 + $51 (7% Sales Tax) + $15 NICS = $796

That's $66 savings, only $4 less than your base figures. If your $50 does not include NICS, you need to find a new transfer dealer.

Just saying that you have to take everything into account. For lower priced guns, the savings in sales tax may not be enough to offset the shipping and transfer fees. It's something only the buyer can decide on a case-by-case basis.

JMHO / YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob

thats why i figured i would look while i am there. Im already going to be there, so its not like im wasting gas money