Sign in to follow this  
tuktuk

Help me pick my next AK

Look into 5.45. Its around 10 cents a round now. Buy it cheap and stack it deep! FYI alot of the AK's reliability comes from its tapered round (7.62 and 5.45). .223/5.56 barely tapers at all. Buy the gun in the cal. it was made to work with... food for though. Plus mags etc are easier to come by in the common cals.

If you lived in PA I'd say get a SBR'd Krink like in the photo above. :)

krink is "cool" but it all depends on the end use.. but i dont know how all accurate a SBR AK is going to be at 75+ yards...

Typical SBR like a 5.45 Krinkov retains AK accuracy (man sized target) out to 200 meters. The 7.62x39 variants also perform very similar, as that round loses very little muzzle velocity out of shorter barrels, relatively speaking. I'm not sure why so many think SBR's are pistols or something, 14.5" M4's are 400 meter rifles as well.

Full sized barrel AK's retain AK accuracy (once again, these are MOMan rifles not MOA rifles) out to 400 meters or so.

fair enough..

Look into 5.45. Its around 10 cents a round now. Buy it cheap and stack it deep! FYI alot of the AK's reliability comes from its tapered round (7.62 and 5.45). .223/5.56 barely tapers at all. Buy the gun in the cal. it was made to work with... food for though. Plus mags etc are easier to come by in the common cals.

i know wat u re sayin but i dont really agree. 7.62mm and 5.45mm are standard soviet/russian calibers and thats y we got everytin startin from sks to modern akz using them. if their standard round was 5.56mm then thats wat they wud;ve been using now. 7.62X39mm was not developed from the blank page as sometin ground breakin in balistics, velocity, range, power etc. soviets did wat everybody was doin after ww2 they looked at wat germans came up with, modified it a lil and voila we were introduced to 7.62X39mm round. same pretty much with the 5.45X39mm. during the vietnam war soviets scratched their heads, looked at american 5.56mm round and said: well i guess it makes sense, lets downsize. changed it in the way that they dont have to modify their machinery too much and voila 5.45X39mm 8) so i dont think AK reliability has too much to do with a round. as long as round doesnt overwhelm the rifle (as in case with FN FAL), it will eat anytin. 8) its all about being so simple that u can teach a peasant to use it in a day and the fact that it just has so much free/empty space inside. hehe .... anyways ima not tryin to sound smart or teach anybody about the history... just thinkin out loud 8)

7.62x54 was considered to be a groundbreaking round when it was developed and one of the major contributors to the accuracy and dependability of the moisin nagant. That and they didn't just pull 7.62mmx39 out of a hat, every weapon they had in inventory at that point used that same bore diameter from rifles to pistols. I think that was just another reason that Kalashnikov wondered "why the hell are we copying the Americans with this silly sized 5.45 round?" which was completely different from anything else they had been using previously ;)