Don't Tread On Me

Skeet/Trap Cherry Ridge

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a shotgun soon and would like to shoot at Cherry Ridge.

The shotgun range is the one area of Cherry Ridge I'm unfamiliar with so...

What do I need to know to shoot there, what do I actually need to purchase to be able to shoot trap or skeet? (Not sure which is the correct term for what you shoot at Cherry Ridge)

Thanks

There's really no such thing as trap or skeet at Cherry Ridge to the fact that they don't have "houses".

If you went by yourself you would need a thrower, and a shotgun and ammo. And either stakes to mount your thrower to the ground or c-clamps to mount it to the tables that are provided.

M

The shotgun field at CR is just that... a field. There are about a dozen tables at the shooting line that you can clamp a spring thrower to, or stake a thrower into the ground. They only allow target loads, #7 1/2 shot or smaller, and only biodegradable clays, which can be bought at the range for $11.00/case of 135. This is a better price than can be found anywhere else, and a chunk of the money stays at the range.

No restrictions on the type of gun. If it's legal, you can shoot it (the exception is a Judge revolver loaded with .410. No go with that). I'll sometimes show up with a Mossberg 500 HD setup, and I've seen others do the same.

If you have an electric thrower with an adapter, there is power available.

They expect you to clean up after yourself, sweep the empties and put them and any empty boxes in/near the trash pails. Rakes are provided to help with the cleanup.

Eyes and ears all the time.

I think that covers it.

It's fun to shoot there with a group, with someone operating a thrower (or several), but a pain by yourself when you're trying to load, pull and shoot without any help. Even the electric throwers with foot pedal releases tend to put you off your stance some. I suppose a voice release would work, but it's definitely more fun with a few guys shooting together.

The shotgun field at CR is just that... a field. There are about a dozen tables at the shooting line that you can clamp a spring thrower to, or stake a thrower into the ground. They only allow target loads, #7 1/2 shot or smaller, and only biodegradable clays, which can be bought at the range for $11.00/case of 135. This is a better price than can be found anywhere else, and a chunk of the money stays at the range.

No restrictions on the type of gun. If it's legal, you can shoot it (the exception is a Judge revolver loaded with .410. No go with that). I'll sometimes show up with a Mossberg 500 HD setup, and I've seen others do the same.

They expect you to clean up after yourself, sweep the empties and put them and any empty boxes in/near the trash pails. Rakes are provided to help with the cleanup.

Eyes and ears all the time

I think that covers it.

This is probably a REALLY stupid question, but keep in mind I have never shot a shotgun, shot clays, or even watched someone shooting a shotgun / clays so bear with me - Im assuming you arent supposed to clean up your thrown clays? (hence the biodegradable)

Eyes and ears all the time

I think that covers it.

This is probably a REALLY stupid question, but keep in mind I have never shot a shotgun, shot clays, or even watched someone shooting a shotgun / clays so bear with me - Im assuming you arent supposed to clean up your thrown clays? (hence the biodegradable)

Nope. Anything that hits the field stays on the field. The weather will eventually take care of the debris.

but keep in mind I have never shot a shotgun, shot clays, or even watched someone shooting a shotgun / clays

You need to get out there with us when the group gets together. We've turned quite a few people on to shooting clays. Watching them explode into dust is huge fun, and a nice change from the relative boredom of punching paper.

Hey guys,

What do I need to know to shoot there, what do I actually need to purchase to be able to shoot trap or skeet? (Not sure which is the correct term for what you shoot at Cherry Ridge)

Thanks

I'm thinking of going on Saturday morning (early, before it gets ridiculous hot) if you want to meet up... I have a manual spring thrower and several shotguns. You will quickly see whether you will like it or not...

Hey guys,

Thanks

I'm thinking of going on Saturday morning (early, before it gets ridiculous hot) if you want to meet up... I have a manual spring thrower and several shotguns. You will quickly see whether you will like it or not...

I would love to shoot with you guys but I'm insanely busy this summer I dont have a free weekend coming up for weeks. I have been trying to head up after work as its my only free time but I can't usually get there until 6:30 and then only have an hour to shoot so even thats not the best. I will keep checking in when you guys are heading out and will make it one of these days! looking forward to it

Hey guys,

Thanks

PM sent

Hey guys,

Thanks

PM sent

PM returned!

I don't think I can make it out on Saturday this week.

I have a couple of outside things to get done, and I want to do them early, and beat the 90+ degree heat.

You guys have fun, and bust a few for me.

Anybody else available on Saturday morning 6/26?

What time?

I'm back from AZ, I can possibly go tomorrow.

8:30-9:00ish

So you're meeting Dan and if I recall, you're Dan? I'm somewhat on Pacific time but I can probably get up and get there. I have an electric thrower.

What time?

I'm back from AZ, I can possibly go tomorrow.

8:30-9:00ish

So you're meeting Dan and if I recall, you're Dan? I'm somewhat on Pacific time but I can probably get up and get there. I have an electric thrower.

Would love to have you and your electric thrower Mark!! Then Dan2 can see the difference between manual reset and electric.

That was fun!

Tom showed up, we shot some doubles and skeet with two electric throwers.

Overall, nice casual morning of shooting.

Nice to meet you Dan. I think we've addicted another one. :mrgreen:

Nice meeting you too, I had a great time, definitely addicted!